Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Fiction Shelves

Someone donated a box of like-new contemporary novels yesterday, which spurred me to spend all afternoon tidying the Fiction section--facing books out, alphabetizing, and reflowing books to loosen up the tight sections. Stock is a bit low though.  More people buy the best books than donate them...

I've thought about putting up a sign requesting donations, and maybe I will, but that can go wrong. I've been surprised that when I've told good customers we need books, they've brought in boxes of mostly junk. They've obviously cleared their shelves of stuff they don't want--and neither does anyone else:
standard reference books (people use the Internet now); Dan Brown mysteries; South Beach Diet books (& workbooks & supplementary volumes); bios of George W. Bush; outdated travel guides (honest to god, Triple-A's Guide to North Carolina, 1998).
These go in recycling, which is a huge pain to deal with--big heavy boxes--the guys hate moving them...

Unmarked paperbacks cost a dollar, hardbacks, two dollars. (Though hardback fiction sells worse than paperback, so I usually mark it to one dollar.)
This is ridiculously cheap, but I don't want to raise it (and no one asks me to)--partly because I think the rock bottom prices keep people coming to the store even though there's an inferno across the street (the dealers continue to burn shit), and partly because it's a service to people who can't afford books otherwise. Some of our regulars are very old (Sergei, from Russia), very young (Amina, a Somali teenage girl), obviously fragile in mental or physical ways, as well as lots of college kids and novel-reading white women (my class--who may or may not have disposable income).

BELOW is the Fiction section (most of it; some books got cut off)––in alphabetical order by author.



Oh--and here are a couple sci-fi shelves. We got a huge donation of sci-fi books last year, and very few since, so I need to move all the books onto one shelf. I have a theory that sci-fi readers hold onto their books.
Below sci-fi is an unlabeled shelf of Books About Words and Ideas--no label, you just get to figure it out for yourself... (just being scattered on my part--but books do sell off it, so I guess people do figure it out).

There are full Crime, Romance, and YA sections too (as well as all the nonfiction of course).

Funny, you'd think the Fiction section would look much the same, but I'd photographed the fiction section four months ago, in August, and with some holdovers (Cold Mountain!), it was full of different titles.
Nice!

So, the shelves look about as good as they ever do.
I will just note that the books don't necessarily come in looking good. I often dust off dirt and cobwebs, wipe sticky stuff off with Windex, or remove actual gunk with a butter knife; sometimes I tape a rip or a wobbly spine, as well as removing labels, if I can without ripping the covers (though sometimes I leave on stickers from other booksellers, like Half Price Books, so people can see what a good deal they're getting).

It's not unusual for a book to be so water damaged I have to throw it out (don't recycle mold), but if there's just a little coffee stain, I put the book out for sale--if it's desirable. It's a judgment call.
Battered old copies of Carlos Castenada's Teachings of Don Juan sell. A clean, unread copy of Chicken Soup for the Soul does not.

6 comments:

  1. ah, the books section actually has quite a good and varied selection of books.

    reading about people taking prices off of things reminds me of the former salvation army i used to go to in alexandria, va. in the dressing rooms i used to see removed price tags from clothing stuck behind the sides of the mirrors which always surprised me until i found some people were leaving their old clothes behind and walking out with the replaced clothes.

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shelves are looking good, and you have an interesting assortment of stuff. Wonder why you have so many copies of "To Kill a Mockingbird"? Maybe students getting rid of their old class copies? Sometimes people bring us "donations" (which really means "here's all the trash off my bookshelves") so I can imagine exactly what you mean about what sells and what doesn't.

    I love old sci-fi covers, like "Shadow on the Stones" and "The Crystal Gryphon." Such great old artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a marvellous range of books.
    And if they are cheap?...well if that gets people reading, they are priceless!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some of us, shelves of ridiculously marked-down editions of books are more thrilling than anything we could imagine. I love that you recognize that, respect it, make sure that the thrill remains within reach and is real.
    But Lord, you sure can see which books sold like crazy but weren't good enough for anyone to want to hold on to. "Chicken Soup for the Soul", indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those shelves are enticing! Great display- I would spend a lot of time with those shelves!
    It's like food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. KIRSTEN: That doesn't happen so much since we closed the fitting rooms during Covid--though there's still sometimes a deserted pair of pants crumpled in the corner somewhere--and definitely shoes left behind.

    STEVE: The multiple copies of Mockingbird came in a box from, I think, a middle school along with a bunch of other multiples--I think they must have been replacing these beat up copies.
    I love the old sci-fi covers too!

    GZ: Right! If cheap books means more reading, that's a win/win!

    MS MOON: Thanks for your perspective--it confirms my instincts! I'm still a reader first, bookseller second, so I do aim to make readers happy.

    LINDA SUE: I love seeing people spend a lot of time in BOOK's, looking at every shelf. I did it too, before I started working there.

    ReplyDelete