Friday, December 9, 2022

Speaking of turnips...

What I Did at Work Yesterday

Someone donated a box of small turnips to the thrift store. Their roots  look like mouse tails, and some of them had eye-like holes.
Big Boss was gone for the afternoon, so...
We have a Turnip of Gloucester!


I've now made three versions of the Tailor mouse and really, it is sweet but not very interesting. You have to read the book. (And there's a difference between art and illustration.)

A turnip is not normally counted a toy, but in this case... In it goes, to #Toys Recreate Paintings.

The ears are rubber-coated baby spoons.
Ass't Man volunteered to make eyeglasses out of a paper clip. He's been a pal lately.
 
I also framed this donated poster of the First Amendment, made by the Minnesota Newspaper Museum--open only during the run of the State Fair in St. Paul, MN, (late August through Labor Day).
I could only find a cheap plastic frame, but any frame is better than putting it out rolled up.

I kind of want the poster for myself--or for it to stay in BOOK's forever. I could make it NFS--or just raise the price a lot, from the current $5.99 to 15.99. It'd stay longer that way. Though you never know--sometimes people snatch up things I like, even at high prices.
________

Speaking of snatching---I read that turnips are called "snadgers" in northern England--and "neeps" in Scotland. Can anyone confirm that?
I heard that when I was painting four Vegetables & Spaceships Flash Cards in 2013 (all four, here).
This is the turnip one:


This set of watercolors (gouache) is one of the best things I've ever made--or, anyway, I love it almost best.
I sent the set to Krista years ago, for her kitchen.

_____________

Before Big Boss left yesterday, I'd asked him which cake he wanted me to make for his birthday.
Without hesitation he said yellow cake with chocolate frosting.

I might have chosen the same, rather plain cake. I don't like cake that is too goopy or candy-like. (I don't mind that he chose the cheapest one, either--though I'd certainly have spent the money with no complaint if he'd chosen the Black Forest.)

"What shape should it be?" I asked.

"Round."

That is correct. Proper birthday cakes are round, with a layer of frosting in the center.


P.S. We put the box of turnips on the bench in the exit hallway, where free stuff goes. No takers so far.

9 comments:

Linda Sue said...

That is son's favorite cake too! I have made many!! Cake for breakfast, can't beat it. I absolutely love what you have done with the turnip/snadger/neep...What an honor for that root!
Agree about the poster, it would be a fine thing to have on the wall. You should probably take it home for a while.

Fresca said...

LINDA SUE: Oh! If you get the chance, would you send me your recipe? I was going to use one off the 'nets, but if you have one you like...

Thanks about the turnips. It was fun!

Ms. Moon said...

You know, I had a feeling that he was going to choose that cake. It's such a comforting cake. And of course it must be round.
I am growing turnips this year and am a bit disappointed to discover that all of them are white- none are purple. Harumph.
I do like your turnip tailor mouse. Why can't a turnip be a toy?

Fresca said...

MS MOON: Ya know, I'd have chosen that cake too! Funny. I guess it's just a comfort classic, yeah.
What? No purple in your turnips? Tsk, tsk. No fun.

Indeed--most anything can be a toy! Why not a turnip?

Tororo said...

How nice to meet such a literate turnip! Only on L'Astronave.

Anonymous said...

lovely turnips. i think you can almost use them like potatoes. looking up cooking of them lots of recipes that sound great. i think some even put them in soups

bien sur! birthday cakes should be round and yellow with chocolate frosting is a good one. yum -- i may even have to make one myself this weekend from scratch -- no boxes anymore. i think most bakeries went to sheet cakes as they go further than a round one and less likely to tip over in the car.

i think the poster should be marked NFS right now. it's a lovely one.

kirsten

Krista Kennedy said...

I still have the set and adore it! It's been living in the guest room for safety until I can get some really solid frames that will keep them safe from kitchen grease. And I am so, so slow at framing, have been all my life. But I have a resolution on this topi for the new year!

Bink said...

Isn’t that turnip a bit young to be reading about Mashed Potatoes? True crime stories can give youngsters nightmares.

Fresca said...

TORORO: Turnip says, a pleasure to meet you!

KIRSTEN: Yes, treat turnips like potatoes--but I don't actually like either one much! (Not a fan of the potato.) I guess a lot of people at the store aren't fond of turnips--or don't know what they are.

KRISTA: Glad you still have them! I almost never frame anything--I just stick it on the wall--but yeah, not a good strategy in kitchens.

BINK: You know, I did sort of wonder about that myself... (honestly)