Saturday, December 24, 2022

Crackers

I bought snappers to make Christmas crackers, from Olde England Crackers (Linda Sue recommended--they were $8 for 24). They came in the mail at Halloween; I saved up t.p. rolls, collected little toys at work to be prizes inside . . . and I have yet to assemble them. Classic.

I do well with a last-minute rush though––I'll put the crackers together this afternoon while the pot roast cooks.
Ergh, I forgot to get tissue paper to make hats--maybe I could use t.p.? I have to write up some Dad jokes too. (Nothing my father would ever have told, but a lot of the guys at work genuinely do love these . . . basic jokes.)

The bigger animals in hats looking on will be place settings for dinner tonight. There are five--one for each guest.


It's cold (–5ºF, as I write at 7:30 a.m.), but not as wicked and windy as the past couple days. The windows aren't completely frosted over, just on the edges.
I'm in a good mood but feeling a bit housebound. I haven't gone outside in two days, so I'll take a walk later.

Aside from the crackers, the house is as ready as it's going to be for Christmas Eve. The baby is even born
already. Surprise, it's a baby asparagus!


My sister dressed Mary; the embroidered house ornament was made by our blog friend Kirsten; felt stars are from Linda Sue; sheep ornament from bink; and the animals' button eyes from Art Sparker.
THANK YOU, everybody!
(Everything else is, of course, from the thrift store.)

I'm going to get the pot roast going now. Happy Day to you all!

4 comments:

  1. WOnderful!! i see all sorts of very cool stuff on your work table.
    the joy of it all! Once a year we can go full tilt on toys and weirdness and i really do love it. This family is pretty conservative, i think that there are only three of us who are sort of 'out there. Compromise. Have a great day! Hats of wrapping paper might work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, what about wrapping paper if you have any left for the hats or even grocery bags?

    love all of the ornaments --as a wool person the sheep is adorable. a great interpretation of the manger scene.

    those crackers are going to be so much fun.

    i made it outside today for the longest time since wednesday as our temps are finally above 10 degrees and the wind chills above zero!

    even my dog and i weren't seeing eye to eye. i ended not putting up any decorations this year but after seeing yours and linda sue's i will next year.

    i did manage to make magic cookie bars (graham crackers, butter, chocolate chips, coconut, walnuts and sweetened condensed milk) but really wanted to try a christmas cake but the thought of trying to find some of the dried fruits was a little daunting in the cold so a mince meat pie

    have a happy day!

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you're getting it all together! I hope all is joyful and bright for you and for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LINDA SUE: I'm so surprised your family is conservative---where did your genetic *wonderful-wackiness* go?
    Who are the three who aren't, I wonder. Eric, you, and... ?

    KIRSTEN: Doesn't that wooly sheep go well with your ornament? They have some similar colors---the sheep says it lives in that house when it's not the holidays!

    Good for you for baking, at least--that's such a holiday thing to do, in my mind. but...Ack, I cannot be allowed near the magic cookie bars or I would eat them all. :)

    MS MOON: Thank you, it did come together pretty smoothly. I hope you are having a beautiful Xmas Day . . .
    after a hairy Xmas Eve–Day!

    ReplyDelete