Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Manet Week, IV: "The Fifer"

 Prompt: Using only what you have on your desk (or near to hand), re-create Manet's "Fifer"/"Young Flautist", 1866.


The feet please me the most. Can you tell what they are?
The angle of the fife is not quite right, but as I was adjusting it for the nth time, the whole thing fell apart. Luckily I'd already photographed it. Good enough.
Putting this together reminded me of how much fun the Minimalist Manger prompt was, the first Covid Xmas...two years ago now (2020).

This is my fourth Manet re-creation, and I don't particularly like Manet. I like best his paintings where he was inspired by Spanish painters, such as this one and "The Dead Toreador". All that deep black...

There's a power in working with other people--engagement with something you wouldn't have considered on your own.  If Amy S. hadn't chosen Manet's "Picnic on the Grass, Alas", I'd never have looked again at his other paintings.

This is part of the Toys Recreate Painting project. I was going to use a girlette, but as I was looking around on my desk, the Husky utility knife was so reminiscent of the boy I decided to use it instead.
(Also, the girlettes on my desk are tied up in a bundle--they say they are now red and green Christmas decorations.)

Besides "The Fifer", so far I've interpreted "A Bar at the Folies-Bergere" (in process); "The Dead Toreador"; "A Bundle of Asparagus" and "A Sprig of Asparagus".
All, here.

6 comments:

  1. Asparagus gets ALL of the admiration! Wins ALL of the prizes, though the others are quite good also. The Girlettes really outdid themselves with the asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LINDA SUE: I have to agree--the asparagus has been their finest role.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me laugh out loud. It reminded me of the portraits made of fruit and vegetables (Arcimboldo), except with supplies.

    Those are Apple ear buds. I know them well — they’re the kind that contributed to an ear infection I had earlier this year. (Just not good for my ears.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. MICHAEL: Yes, they are! Apple ear buds. BINGO.
    I was so pleased they made such a nice contribution to the art. (Sorry they contributed to an ear infection though.)
    And I'm so happy this made you laugh out loud and think of Arcimboldo, who I love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recreations get funnier and funnier (and funnier)! I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. TORORO: That is good to hear. Thank you!
    I think they are so. so funny too, but not everybody does...

    ReplyDelete