Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Manet Week continues: Bundle Up

The third toy recreation of Manet paintings. [You can see the others here.]
No asking you to guess which ones this time, it would be too easy!


Especially when you see the matching painting:


Right? Do you recognize these?
They are Manet's "Bundle of Asparagus" and its little sister, "Sprig of Asparagus" (1880).

The painting of the original bunch was commissioned by art collector Charles Ephrussi for 800 francs. When he got the painting, Ephrussi sent Manet 1,000 francs.
Manet, “who was a master of elegance and wit”, painted a second painting with one asparagus and sent it, with a note: “There was one missing from your bunch".  [–Wikipedia]


I am having sooo much fun with these re-creations.

The girlettes had been eager to become asparagus last night, but I told them we had to wait for daylight (no good photographing in electric light).
I woke up happy this morning, looking forward to doing this work.

Be the asparagus you want to see in the world.

I was pondering recently why the affair with Oliver was such a dead space.
It's exactly this: I DID NOT DO MY WORK.

It doesn't matter if the work is silly or serious, important to many others or a bit of frippery that pleases only a few, or only me!
Doing the work is drawing from the well of you:
your imagination, your ideas, your most silly or most serious self.

During the affair, after the first time of wonderful discoveries had passed, what was left was repetition, repetition, repetition--for two whole long years.
I didn't do anything but sit around in my mind, waiting for him to show up, or not; call or not; break up, or not. One, and then the other, would end it, each of us taking turns. And then it would start up again.
Blah, blah, blah.

Two years may not sound that long, but
730 days is a long time to be cut off from your imaginative self, every day.
I hated it, but I couldn't get myself out of it. It was like struggling not to slip all the way into a tar pit...

Sometimes now I pester myself:
Why are you remaking someone else's art?
But it's not "remaking", it's making anew, borrowing someone else's bucket to draw water from my own well.

It is my work, inspired by and with others, and I love that. And it's fun!
Be your own asparagus.

4 comments:

  1. I could not love this MORE!!! The girlettes are very good, patient posing requires every bit of concentration- and YOU- creating best asparagus recreation is nothing less than brilliant. Your well is deep and fresh!Certainly has filled my bucket!

    730 days is a blink , unless those 730 days are spent in prison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LINDA SUE: THANK YOU--honestly, I love this sooo much! It just cracks me up and brings me joy in every way.
    The girlettes are STARS! They are all squirmy and laughing, but when the time comes to pose, they become very serious, yes, as you know, and concentrate really hard on BEING ASPARATGUS!
    :)

    Oh god yes--that's it--730 days in prison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the manet represenations! i think i like his paintings better than monet. i've seen way way too many monets in my life and not enough manets. imagine being a painter and having a last name that is quiet close to another painter who may be more famous than you. actually manet was born before monet and died before monet. monet lived longer 86 yo and 51 yo for manet.

    yes, girlettes can become quite the poseurs when needed to be. i love the idea of only creating with what you have. we all need to do more of that rather than rushing out to buy what we "think we need." perhaps less of need than want.

    and ugh, so with you in spirit re the whole sucking of time and energy and not doing our work.

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. KIRSTEN: Ha-ha, those similare names. Maybe everyone called them Ed and Claude.

    I've never been keen on Manet, but since looking at him more closely these past few days--since Amy S. suggested we recreate him--I've liked him more.
    Found hi subjects more interesting, anyway.
    What would he have painted had he lived another thirty years, like Monet did?

    Whereas Monet, who I loved when I was young, now seems less interesting, except in a technical way ("how do you paint light?")

    To get the fabric to wrap the girlettes in here, I cut off the bottom 2 inches of my sheer curtains. :)

    Yes, Time and Energy is precious, even if it's just to sit around on our own willing.

    ReplyDelete