Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Stickers and Flags

What does Big Boss look like?

Thomas Jefferson + Darth Vader.

I'm taking a mini-sketchbook to this morning's staff meeting to sketch my coworkers surreptitiously...
Only half--maybe eight?--
of us attend, so it might not be possible, but my idea is to look more closely at these people I see every day––I'm not so good at that––so I can fold physical descriptions into my diary.

Not "she was x-feet tall and had y-colored hair", but something that shows who they are.... (The always-dilated pupils of my "medicated" coworkers, for instance.)


BB told me yesterday that he wants to hold weekly meetings again. (Did he ever?) He was at a conference last week, so I'm guessing that's where he got the idea––or perhaps from management books he's been reading lately?

Will we talk about the challenges of the new pricing system,
or will we talk about Jesus?
I bet you a quarter it's Jesus.

The pricing system is a pain:
Every department prints stickers for their own categories.
I'm lucky: I only have Books and Toys to price--Clothing has ten categories, each with its own stickers.

The strips of stickers quickly become a mess. I taped toy stickers to an empty cardboard tube and ran a strap through it:


See the ^ mini-LOL dolls, bottom left corner?
They came in one of the
bags and boxes of toy donations that blocked the aisle of my workplace yesterday morning. LOL dolls are popular, and most of the donations were unusually good like that.

I've decided to spiff up Toys--now I've made room by adding a slat board to hang grab bags, which is why
I was washing toys (yesterday's post).
I usually swipe dirty toys with Windex, rather than bothering to take them to the work sink in Housewares. It's "the" sink, outside the bathrooms--even the kitchen doesn't have one.

I spent all day putting out toys, and they were selling fast--some, right out of my cart.
The day's toy take was double the norm:
a whole fifty bucks.

Flag

Art volunteer found another donated Ukraine flag and asked me where we should hang it---BB shot down Art's request to hang it in the window.

What does Art look like?
A crane. A stalk of wheat... Tall, pale, with thinning blond hair made spiky by swimming in a chlorine pool. (When possible, he swims in the lake. He wears a wet suit in cold but not freezing weather.)

He is outraged about Putin. Trying to convince BB we should display Ukraine's flag in support, Art said, "Putin is like Hitler."

(The thing is, BB barely knows how bad Hitler is.
I've talked to him about the Holocaust, and it's another area where he's told me, "I don't know much about it.")

"Ukraine is an outrage!" he told me.

"I know," I said, "and you should talk to Manageress about Eritrea and Ethiopia. They're just as bad, but no one knows about them." (Manageress is from Eritrea.)
 
Zero interest from Art.

Art likes expressing outrage, but he actually does do useful things, not just rant.
I said we could hang the flag on the wall above the History books. (Very tall ceilings in the back room where BOOK's are.)

"Where are your history books?" Art said.
Another non-book reader--he gets his news from the Internet, where, of course, it is indeed the latest.

He got on a ladder and hung the flag. I'm glad of it.

2 comments:

  1. It is interesting to learn how little history some people know

    ReplyDelete
  2. GZ: Oh then, you would find it verrrry interesting here.
    --Frex = Fresca

    ReplyDelete