Thursday, August 25, 2022

Atoms and Angels

 "And the angel said, 'Come here.'"
--Book of Revelations, somewhere

Penny Cooper has been learning about atoms in her summer reading (she has a list of books), and this morning she was dancing around, singing a little song,

"I am dinosaur and fern juice. And if nobody knows I'm real, I'll still be atoms!"

I think she found that comforting.


I believe in atoms.
I don't believe in angels, not in the same way, as objective realities, but they seem to work anyway, as Agents of Serendipity and Magic Messengers You Never Expected, and the like.
____________

Did I say? I think I didn't--that the therapist gave me homework--to check out a Buddhist meditation center that does a lot of social justice work.

I feel like therapy is a sausage machine:
whatever you put in, a predictable shape comes out.
"Intimacy issues"
"General Anxiety Disorder"

And, Buddhism?
OMG, I am so not interested.

I WAS interested in Buddhism, off and on, over the years. The idea of mindfulness, which I discovered through Thich Nhat Hanh in my twenties, has been super helpful to me. I learned so much from and still love American Buddhist teacher Pema Chodron.
In my forties, I even sat meditation for a couple months at a place called Dharma Field.

(Did the therapist even ask?
She did not. I am not impressed.)

Anyway, in the end, meaning no disrespect, in this part of the country, Buddhism feels to me like Lutheranism. Quiet and tidy and sanitized, no bloody bodies on display. (And the meditation parking lot is full of Priuses owned by people who've gone trekking in Nepal.)

When the therapist gave me that homework, I agreed, but the last thing I said as the session ended was, "I miss Mass."


That night in bed, I thought, listen to yourself.
You may not believe in God, but you miss him. Set aside your beef with the Church for a moment, and go.

The next morning--yesterday-- I went to the weekday 8:30 Mass at the church 2 blocks away. The first reading was from somewhere in Revelations:

"The angel said, come here."
Well, okay, then.

The Catholic Church is a Bad, Bad Church, there's no doubt--but there's also no doubt, in this part of the world, they have the best toys!
(Tibetan Buddhism has lots of good ones too, but I am not Tibetan.)
And it's a bloody mess, just like my workplace.
And me.

I went out for beer with Ass't Man after work yesterday--the first time we've ever gone out alone together.
We're going to a meeting with the City Council member for the store on Friday, and we were talking--again--about the question of how to help––can we? do we?––and how to bear, how to stand the suffering we see around the store.

I was telling him about going to Church and how it gave me a place to stand--and help to withstand.
Like a lot of people who grew up Catholic, he doesn't like the Church--and who can blame him?

I was saying, a lot of people tell me they find the crucifix barbaric.
The crucifix is barbaric--that's the point.
It's like the figure of George Floyd, with angel wings, painted on the pavement where he was killed ten blocks from the store.


I said to Ass't Man that ever since Floyd's murder, I've been feeling pulled to the Christian story again.
While Floyd did not choose his martyrdom, unlike Jesus, there are similarities--both were innocent people killed in public in a show of force by the authorities; victims whose deaths served a larger purpose.

Ass't Man said he had never seen it like that... "I've only thought about how God can help me," he said. 

(Huh. Ask not what Love can do for you.
Ask what you can do with Love.)

I really, really liked going to Mass. The Church says,
"Yes, Life IS that awful.
So, here. Here's a magic cookie for the journey.
Now, go. Get out there."

I thought about quitting therapy after only one session, but now I am grateful for it: by it trying to squeeze me into the wrong shape, I found one that fit me better.
For the moment.

I wonder what other things I'll un/re/dis-cover through this therapist. She must be an angel! The angel of the wrong-fitting homework.

12 comments:

  1. there are glimmering guidances everywhere- you just have to know when to call bullshit. Take the crumbs and not the entire cookie. Buddhism is good for calming the eff down, and ritual is good for feeling centered, I love the ritual of the Episcopal church and I love the swag of the catholic church. All other religions I have bumped against leave me incredulous, "how?" "Why" Patriarchy at its most evil. The orphans are not fans of the dead guy on a stick but they do like cherubs and Mary, all sorts, They like the jolly fat Buddha , which is not
    Buddha at all but they don't know that. The lack of humor in religion puts them off , especially
    Christians- a suffering lot....and Buddhist try to out Buddha one another sitting around quieting the monkey mind, trying to get to that place where existence is not. No different than Mormons living for the promise of afterlife. BS meter full tilt.
    Don't be a sausage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresca here—LOL, Linda Sue! The girlettes LOVE monkey mind— “More monkeys please”—and so does JOCKO:
      “What’s wrong with my mind?!?🙄 NOTHING!”

      I will not squish myself into a sausage casing, no never.
      Take the cookie and run! 😆that’s me.
      —Fred (Fred? That’s what autocorrect says)

      Delete
  2. I hope your therapist doesn’t read your blog. Her suggestion sounds to me like a pat one, and one that she’s made before. Maybe she could have suggested it instead of taking you on as a client?

    “No bloody bodies on display”: they don’t practice sky burial in Minnesota?

    (Forgive my snark today — I’m just feeling snarky after reading what you’re describing.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MICHAEL:Fresca Fred here🤪
      The Lutherans here are often excellent people (really!)
      but they are very tidy-minded about burial practices—
      open caskets are frowned upon—the dead have gone to sleep with Jesus (not in the interesting way either)…
      Maybe that’s sleep IN Jesus?
      Anyway no, no sky burials lol

      I felt I would like the therapist if I met her at a dinner party but she seemed unimaginative as a therapist…
      Recommended “Drama of the gifted Child”-/-
      OMG I read that in the NINETIES!!! Just a wee bit dusty…

      Delete
    2. I just read Alison Bechdel’s Are You My Mother? When she buys that book, the clerk said something like “Kiss your life as you know it goodbye.”

      Delete
    3. PPS MICHAEL: you’ve probably read this article on David foster Wallace and his self-help library—it discusses his notes and underlining in “The Drama of the Gifted Child”:
      https://www.theawl.com/2011/04/inside-david-foster-wallaces-private-self-help-library

      Delete
  3. I loved Penny Cooper's song!
    I memorized it, it could be useful at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresca here

      TORORO: Penny Cooper is very pleased with herself that you like her song. I had asked her if she’d like help making it rhyme and she had informed me that poetry doesn’t have to rhyme.
      Quite right too.

      MICHAEL: Oh!!! That poem! I never knew it, no, and it is sooooo like the girlettes! Thank you!

      Fred Fresca

      Delete
  4. Yes. Maria Bustillos’s article is one of the most painful things I’ve ever read. After that piece appeared, eleven of DFW’s books at UT Austin were restricted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel that the therapist is more than a little questionable..but at least she has prompted you in some ways.

    Well done on working with Asst Man too.. you are working in a difficult place.
    Sending hugs to you and greetings to the Girlettes xx ((0))

    ReplyDelete
  6. MICHAEL: The Bsutillo article is a real gut wrencher. It sure is no argument for Alice Miller's book, that's for sure. I think it's weird the therapist would recommend such a slanted perspective...

    Wow, that's interesting the DFW books were restricted after the article. I did feel the article was over the line--I wouldn't have written or published it myself.
    What do you think, Michael?


    GZ: Thank you for saying the therapist seems "more than a little questionable..."
    Your reflection, and others', truly helped me, and this morning I posted about how I quit seeing her after this one meeting.

    ReplyDelete