Sunday, July 31, 2022

The Fourth Bee Gee: The Soothing & Fire Jesus

Nobody at work ever puts up new art in the common spaces such as the break room. (Or anywhere else much either--I'm almost the only one who has decorated her workspace).
Whatever's on the walls has hung there since Catholic volunteers started the store thirty-five years ago.

I've occasionally added a piece of art to the walls though.
I framed the Time cover of the Rev. Dr. M. L. King Jr. (below), for instance, and put it above the Xerox machine.
The moonlit Jesus has been
above the door for thirty-five years, I expect--I love its gentle, Grade B sadness and was delighted that it turns up in the TV show Reservation Dogs--one of the Native families has that print, and the daughter of the family, Willie Jack, waves and says to it, " 'Sup, white Jesus?" *



BELOW: A few weeks ago I added a Jesus of my own too, above the computers where we workers clock in and out. (Also, over time,
the angel plate, those abstract land/sky scapes, and the icon of Saint Vincent de Paul and Black Baby Jesus.
But I do not put up text quotes: they're the visual equivalent of the droning wah-wah noise the teachers make in animated Charlie Brown cartoons.)
 
Can you read what I added?


Oh, huh––that matches better than I'd thought... I just now looked up "I Just Want to Be Your Everything" (1977) on YouTube and discovered it's sung by Andy Gibb, brother of the three Bee Gees but not a Bee Gee himself. So, yeah, like the fourth, and the most White Jesus-y looking of the brothers.

I wasn't certain if anyone at work would object, but no one has.
I didn't mean to be disrespectful of Jesus (I like Jesus), but definitely
I meant to poke (affectionate) fun at this Breck Girl Shampoo presentation.

One volunteer did go out of his way to give me kudos for it. But he's Jewish and does stand-up comedy, so not representative of the mostly non-denominational Christians I work with, like Big Boss.
Big Boss didn't say anything. and I don't like to ask...

P.S.  A YouTube comment on the Bee Gees Greatest Hits:
"
I never will stop moving to these soothing and fire grooves!"
________________________

* Willie Jack (Paulina Alexis)

5 comments:

  1. Just little things can prompt thought.

    It doesn't need to be big shouty things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He does look like a Bee Gee. Gives new meaning to “bejeesus.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. And for great amusement check out the BeeGees official video for "Stayin' Alive."

    Hard to believe that males wore pants that tight. I even found a Rod Stewart video with him in tight pleather pants --back then they may have been leather.

    Some credit the BeeGee's with officially starting disco.

    And for full trivia alert -- one of the comments on Stayin' Alive recommends the song if giving CPR as the timing is right.

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. GZ: Yes, I often tune out the big shouty things.

    MICHAEL: LOL, "bejesus". I hadn't thought of that.

    KIRSTEN: Oh,believe me, I've looked at many the Bee Gee youTubes and relished them all. (Well, not all.)

    ReplyDelete