Saturday, June 18, 2022

Any Body Can

Today is the last day of nice June weather for a while-- a heat wave is forecast to arrive tomorrow. Temps are supposed to be near or above 100ºF for a week. And humid. I've set up my a/c window unit in my bedroom, but HouseMate doesn't like a/c so there's no other in the house.

BELOW: Close-up of photo in my MN books display, "Papa, Ruth, Mama, St. Croix 1911".
Baby Red looks cool enough in her short white dress, but what about Mama in her dark clothes?


I've been back from house sitting almost two weeks.
I miss orange George patting my face with his little bean paw-pads... even if it was at 5:30 a.m.
It's nice to see HouseMate's dog. HM and I, however, already had a tiff.

Sigh. It's okay.
I love my summer set-up of my orange café table on the front porch, where I'm sitting now, typing, seen from the LR couch this morning.


I'd like to move. I want to stay in this neighborhood, which I love––Penny Cooper wants to be walking distance from the nearby creek. Unfortunately there's not much rental property around here. It's mostly little one-and-a-half stories 1920s bungalows, like HM's.

 So much I love about this neighborhood, including the gym I went to last year. It's owned by a weightlifter named Ben.
I love his approach: Any Body Works.
I don't lift weights––my arthritic fingers already lift too much at work––but Ben had told me when I first started that your own body is all you need for a complete workout. 

I had my first work-out session with him again yesterday--a gentle half-hour--and left feeling happy and activated. Some of my parts are a bit worn, but it's nothing I can't work around. (Lucky, lucky, lucky.)

The girlettes want to come next time and lift these iron bars at the gym (for equipment going in):


I could do bodyweight exercises myself, of course--but, here's the thing:
I don't.
Having a guide once a week gets me going.

I'm going to (try to) add this circuit in too.
Body weight only:

  1. 9 Squats
  2. 6 Push-ups (on knees) 
  3. Plank (on knees) – hold 15 seconds
  4. 15 Balance Jacks (instead of jumping, lift alternate leg, keeping other on floor)
  5. Reverse Lunges – 6 per leg
  6. 10 Lying Hip Raises

You're supposed to do the circuit four times. I'm going to aim for once, one time a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment