Sunday, June 19, 2022

"The messiah is coming! But don't hold your breath."

"Almost all creativity involves purposeful play."
--
American psychologist Abraham Maslow

I. Typewriter.

BELOW: Photos of a Remington Rand typewriter (1940s, I think) and its red case that I took for the thrift store's IG. I can imagine collecting typewriters, if I were a collecting type.

I don't use my IG account. The Orphan Reds were my main subject, and I don't photograph them much anymore. They're still very much in my life though:
I can hear Penny Cooper's little girl voice in the background right now. I'm on the front porch and she's on my bedside stand with a couple others. I don't know what they're talking about, but she's doing most of it. She's a good listener though, too! All the other girlettes like her.

II. Adaptation

Overall in life, I would love to be more flexible.
I am not easy going, but could I become more so, now that I am an Old Person?
I like being an OP: I do feel the possibility of dropping some old habits of thought.

The other day I asked HM if she could stop telling me how to do things. She said she would try. I appreciate that, but the habit is so threaded through her speech (or "baked in" as people say now, have you noticed?), she doesn't seem to notice it.
Ah, well.
Here's a chance to practice another of John XXIII's steps:

"Only for today, I will adapt to circumstances, without requiring all circumstances to be adapted to my own wishes."

There's always some unwished-for circumstance.
I've seen it working in nursing homes--old people still raging against circumstances.

Some don't.

My favorite: Harvey, an old Jewish guy. He was a former janitor, had  no money, no family, yet he had more visitors than the other residents. They used to bring him treats, which he loved but wasn't supposed to have because of diabetes.

Harvey used to say,

"The messiah is coming! But don't hold your breath."
LOL, I love that so much.
That pov is so helpful to me. It's like how Marz finds comfort in the fact that in a billion-whatever years, the Sun is going to die.

Lighten up! and grab your shovel.

I looked up Harvey's quote and got no results, so maybe it was original to him.
I did find this from Ask the Rabbis "Are Jews Still Expecting a Messiah?":
"Truth be told, the Messiah has probably been here a few hundred times but got spat at on the way to school, or told he wasn’t Jewish enough and had to re-convert, or got ousted from a temple board meeting because he couldn’t pay dues. Who knows? "
If that's the case, Harvey was a/the Messiah.

Not that Jesus (another one, perhaps) was exactly easy-going...

III. Journey On

Speaking of Marz, I'm going to go ahead and say what she's planning, because it affects me a lot. I wasn't going to say till the date was set: due to paperwork processing speeds, she doesn't yet know if she'll go in July, as she hopes, or if she'll have to wait till September.
BUT...
She is accepted into the merchant marine training program!

It's like an apprenticeship to work on civilian ships like cargo ships, ferries, tug boats, research vessels. It's free, but besides classroom training, you work--scraping and painting ship decks and the like.

She had to get seven innoculations, for yellow fever (ships go through the Panama Canal!) etc. to qualify for her mariner's credential.
You can see the 7 Band Aids here:

I'll miss her a lot, but I am so proud of her.
She's been lifting weights too--still working to build more heft--she'll be throwing coils of rope! She can easily beat me at arm wrestling now, which she couldn't before.

Anyway, the program is less than a year.
It sounds semi-military, and I keep telling her she can come home if she hates it.

The culture change from the hipsterish food co-op where she's worked through her twenties will be something to witness. I can't wait to hear about it.

Example of co-op culture:
Someone tells Marz that banana pudding is an expression of colonialism.
Job hazard: being misgendered: 
someone who identifies as a woman is called "sir" or vice versa--"ma'am" for someone who identifies as a man

Merchant mariners talk about the pain of handling large, heavy objects.
Job hazard:
being killed by falling cargo (possibly bananas?)


Gotta go! Love ya'll!

10 comments:

  1. jumped into google everything about MM and where Marz may be headed. This one is relatively good- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YfCVcYm-ks. Gotta be strong!!
    The orphans are somewhat interested but mostly are not. They are not sissies mind you, they are just not interested in anything that is 88.8 percent men. Good luck and fortune - good health and stamina, we wish for Marz, sportier of the buff band-aid arms !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not many girlettes on cargo ships! Marz is the only girl among 6 hard-working brothers-- she'll feel at home (for better or worse)...

      Delete
  2. That typewriter looks almost new — wow.

    All good wishes to Marz at sea. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The typewriter is in very good condition--dirt and hair aside😺.
      Will pass wishes on to Marz-- she may not go till September but wishes don't expire.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Marz is heading to the Merchant Marines! Tell her congratulations from me. The stories she can tell. She joins a long line of persons who were in the merchant marines: Saul Bellow, Ralph Ellison, Jack Vance, Woody Guthrie, Andy Williams, James Garner, Jack Lord, Cliff Robertson.

    A red Remington....

    I've been in the mode of trying not to tell people how to do things for some years -- my mother was famous for doing so and it grated on my nerves.

    kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kirsten, that's some list, eh? Marz has been reading Moby Dick so there's Melville too, though a different kind of sailor, and hopefully an entirely different ending too!

      Unasked-for advice is the most grating thing next to a cheese grater!!! Good for you for catching your self (inherited habit?).❤️

      Delete
  4. Hello, Fresca. I lost you from my blog roll and need help reconnecting. I cannot remember the full title of your blog. At least, I think that's my problem. Will you let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Joanne-
    Nice to see you. Yeah, I moved my blog around for a while to shake some unwelcome commenters and just to take a break. Have only started blogging regularly again recently.

    My blog's URL is https://gugeo.blogspot.com

    The name is l'astronave = "starship" in Italian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many wishes to Marz! Wishes don't expire, but I'm ready to send more when needed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Tororo!
    Always nice to see your happy cat face here. :)
    I will pass your wishes along to Marz. She's excited, but very nervous too---she has never actually been on a ship. LOL

    ReplyDelete