Saturday, June 26, 2021

Biking Through George Floyd Square in the Evening

Derek Chauvin was sentenced yesterday to 22.5 years in prison for murdering George Floyd.*
[NPR article]

In the evening, I took a wobbly video––holding my phone on my handlebars––as I biked home through George Floyd Square**.
A crowd had gathered earlier to hear the sentence
, but by the time I biked through––after 8 p.m.––the square was almost empty.

I'm biking east (toward the Mississippi River), so you can see my shadow on the street as the sun sets behind me. (You can also see that though the city forced the square open to motor vehicles earlier this month, it's quite an obstacle course.)

The whole 1-min. video makes me seasick, so first I'll post two short clips.

PART I (13 seconds) Biking into the Square

The graffiti on the concrete barriers reads:
SACRED SPACE   . . . GFS [George Floyd Square]

#WINSTON SMITH Was Assassinated"
[Amazingly, the latest Black man to be murdered by Minneapolis security forces shares a name with the main character of George Orwell's 1984: Winston Smith.]

WE KEEP US SAFE


PART II (14 seconds) Biking up to the statue of a fist and the waving Black Liberation flag in the intersection of Chicago Ave & 38th St.

The graffiti on the surface of the street includes a list of demands for justice.
The billboard to the left is a picture of George Floyd with the word
REMEMBER.


If you can stand the wobbling, here's the whole 1-minute video.


* Chauvin deserved the max sentence (40 years), but it's sure not nothing.
I celebrate the historic victory––it's practically miraculous a cop got anything at all, much less ten years more than the minimum.
Chauvin is forty-five––he could get out on parole when he is sixty (my age) after serving two-thirds of his sentence.


I like what the Rev. Al Sharpton said
[NYT] about Chauvin's sentence:

“We got more than we thought only because we have been disappointed so many times before."
**The square is the site where Chauvin pinned Floyd to the ground with his knee until Floyd died of suffocation on May 25, 2020.
People spontaneously blocked the intersection soon after.


BELOW: Improvised barriers two days later, on
May 27, 2020.
This is my favorite thing I photographed at GFS, even more than the library that went up in a bus stop. That someone on their own initiative dragged that chair out there is one for my Humanity Is Not All Bad file [now 22 posts].


4 comments:

  1. agree about Chauvin, he should never see the light of day again. He may not, he will not be the most popular prisoner by his mates.
    Nice wobbly ride, Thank you for taking me along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LINDA SUE: You're welcome for the wobbly tour. :)

    Some of the guys at work who've been in prison told me white gangs will hero-worship and protect Chauvin.
    Who knows.
    It's not a nice life in prison at the best of times anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't watch because I know the wobbling will make me queasy, it's that whole cross-eyed vision thing, so annoying. I used to get terribly car sick too.
    I hope that man never gets out of prison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll probably never make it up to Minnesota so I'm grateful to see what it's like at George Floyd Square. Also very grateful that Chauvin got 22+ years. It could have been more, yes. But thank the Gods it wasn't less.

    ReplyDelete