Sunday, May 30, 2021

Unnatural Acts

I posted some photos on my IG this week, and I'll probably continue to do that, here: www.instagram.com/frescadp.
Among other things, that's where the #Madelinedoll pictures are--mostly from Asia (Korea & Japan).

I'm such a written-word person, it hadn't occurred to me that people would think blogging without pictures for a month was a bad idea.
Several commenters weren't too keen on going picureless, however.


I love pictures myself. When I was old enough to start reading chapter books, I was sad they weren't illustrated. When I was a kid and my family went on trips, my mother gave me the camera to take photos.

Pictures are easy--a natural visual language, unlike the alphabet.

Reading and writing are unnatural acts.
In the span of human history, they're new adaptations (only five-thousand-years old).

Biologically, we're not even coded for those behaviors:

"Speaking is natural. Learning to read is a cultural invention. We have to build a neurocircuitry... to pull words off the page. [Having a hard time doing that] has nothing to do with intelligence."

--Literacy expert Margie Gillis, Why Is Reading So Hard?
I'm not usually one for challenging myself. Writing is maybe the only thing I do not because it is easy but because it is hard. My brain likes it, but I don't work that hard at it, even so.

Blogging photos made me slack off––it's like, "You can have all the marshmallows, now, but you never get steak"––and I didn't like that.

Learning to read was easy for me. Writing well, or to my satisfaction anyway, is not.

I don't even read well.
I'm a quick and messy reader, gobbling up the story (even nonfiction), swallowing chunks without chewing, and leaving the gristly bits on the side of the plate.

I'd loved the Murderbot quartet of novellas so much, when I finished reading them I started all over at the beginning.
I was shocked at how little I remembered. I'd forgotten entire scenes.

So I worked at reading the stories the second time. I jotted down notes, and I looked at and drew pictures to help me envision the character of the genderless, synthetic person.

Sloppy reading aside, age must be the cause of my memory gaps. I used to remember everything. Now I don't.

This week I listed "Bridget" (not her real name)
for sale on eBay. She's a gold-haired girlette marketed as a Friend of Madeline.
(Her photo is on IG.)

Someone made an offer for her.
Luckily the seller is not obliged to accept offers, because as soon as I received it, I regretted putting her up for sale.
I rejected the offer and took the listing down.

There was much rejoicing among the Orphan Reds, who then informed me (why didn't they say right away?) that she was the goalie on their soccer team.
(Soccer team?)

Now she goes by the name Satisfied.

Anyway, the thing is, I cannot remember how I came to have this gold-haired doll in the first place!
Did I buy her by herself?
Or--more likely--did she come paired with a red-hair girlette?
It can't be that long ago--she hasn't been here long--but I CANNOT REMEMBER!*

Age & intentional attention affect memory.
Can't do anything about age. "Age is just a number" [that indicates your proximity to death].

Could pay more attention. For me, that includes slowing down and taking in less. Same thing I'm practicing in gym class: to move with more deliberation, which usually means more slowly.

With most people I know being vaccinated, social life is starting up again, and I've instantly felt overwhelmed. I'd said at the beginning of Covid that I didn't mind staying home alone (mostly).
I want to pay attention to my rate of intake of people-energy too.

I'm taking today off--canceled a plan with a friend and am staying home. With Satisfied.

Love ya'll! Be well!

* Oh! I just remembered, days later! where gold-haired Satisfied came from. (
Geez. )
She came with a couple red-hair girlettes as a bundle I bought on FB marketplace. Also with a Miss Clavell, who went to live with Linda Sue.

Writing about it helped me remember.

Thanks, brain.

7 comments:

  1. I am a very visual person and although I love to write (hence the blog) I love taking pictures too. I think they enhance any piece of writing! It's an interesting challenge to blog without photos -- but dare I say it's more for you, for the challenge, than for your readers. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, to quote "Seinfeld.")

    ReplyDelete
  2. STEVE: Hm...your comment that my pictureless blogging is more for me than my readers that brings up the old question--why do we blog?
    For ourselves, like an old-fashioned private journal?
    For others, like a letter or a newspaper article?
    Some mix?

    I'd say to any blogger, Set the table as you like it,
    and the right guests will come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I can't agree that pictures "enhance any piece of writing."
    I would not want The Illustrated Nabokov.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes (to me) photos are an easy way to avoid writing. Now that should stir up things!

    I enjoy reading your writing and don't mind the no photos for a month.

    I, too, read very fast. In high school we were tested on our reading speed by the Evelyn Wood method. My reading was around 400-600 words a minute. I still read that fast!!

    I think we end up with memory gaps because it wasn't a memorable event at the time. Our brain recorded it but most likely was written over by something more memorable!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that learning to read is easier than learning to write, as in stories, not just your name and address and the occasional newsy letter. I've tried a few stories, have one sitting somewhere with 25 chapters and not a word more because I'm stuck. Reading doesn't always come easy though, my sister took years to get the hang of it, possibly because she has brain damage and learns everything slowly, but also I think because she was born and learned to talk in Germany, yet here she was suddenly having to learn to read English, having begun school almost two years after arriving in Australia.
    I'm as glad as the red-haired girls that you have kept your gold-haired doll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. KIRSTEN: Thanks for letting me know you enjoy my writing--even without photos!

    For me--though not for others––it's true that posting photos was sometimes a way to avoid writing, and I don't want to avoid it!

    Interesting to know how many wpm you read.
    I just know that sometimes I'm not paying attention I'd like to pay.
    Other times, I don't care if I read too fast to recall what I've read: reading for entertainment is zip, zip, zip.
    Ha--I like the image of our brains as being like rewriteable CDs... More memorable stuff writes over the fluff.

    RIVER: "Satisfied Girlette" is having such a fun time, now she's here to stay--thanks for saying you're glad for her too!

    The article about learning to read said that 40 PERCENT of children have extra difficulty with reading
    ---so your sister is far from alone!
    Her brain and language challenges must have added difficulty too.

    That's interesting--your family emigrated from Germany to Australia?
    What a long trip!

    I hope you can finish your story one day. Sometimes letting it rest in a drawer can help unstick a story?
    But in the meantime, you are a great storyteller of The Sisters, Meg, Gillian, Jordan, and Riley!
    See?
    I can even name them all because you show their lives so memorably!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! You're definitely right about the Nabokov. Point taken. :)

    And yes, I think you have the right attitude about blogging. We all have to do what we enjoy and what feels right, and if people want to read it they will.

    ReplyDelete