Saturday, May 29, 2021

Retrograde to the Basics

I just saw on Instagram (there are the pictures!) that Mercury is retrograde in Gemini from May 29 (today) to June 22, 2021.
That matches up pretty well with the month I set aside to do Picture-Free Blogging.

I'm always saying I don't belieeeeve in astrology, and I don't.
But I do find it soothing when it fits my needs---which it always does, if you twist and turn it enough. It's endlessly mutable.

Sometimes it fits specifically well.
In this case, it matches my feelings about putting down my camera/phone and focusing on words:

"You could be going back to the drawing board...
Although we're conditioned to gather and disseminate information and go, go, go 24/7 — as fast as humanly possible — the planet that rules all that mental energy and communication [Gemini] actually urges us to take the occasional time-out from that exhausting pace."
--via Shape
There is so much coming at me, at us all––this past year of shutting down, and these recent weeks of opening up––it takes a lot of energy to take it in and process it.

After work yesterday, I went to IKEA for the first time in more than a year, to look for a duvet cover to replace the one I washed with an ink pen and then stained with wine.

Sitting in their cafeteria alone, eating dried-up salmon balls and mushy broccoli––(they're not very busy so the food sits in the steam table too long)––I felt a wave of tenderness and sadness.

Tenderness, that so many people have made such heroic efforts to take care of one another---even efforts on the part of corporations like IKEA count.

Sadness, that we've lost so much--some, simply the natural passage of time.
I felt the absence of people I've been to IKEA with--my father, who liked the Swedish meatballs there and has been dead four years now
--and the loss of people I don't even know, for instance, the mothers of two people who died of Covid.

And the young woman who was murdered on the corner next to the thrift store this week. 

Not that I went to IKEA with her. 
She was a sex worker who regularly came into the store for tiny little clothes.
She was rather a pain to deal with because she was always scattered, high on something. I liked her a lot though––she was perky and bright, like a little bird–– and I always gave her stuff for free.

After she was killed (no one knows why--anything from totally random to something to do with business), it turned out all the cashiers gave her stuff too.
I'm glad there was that tiny kindness in her life, anyway...

I am tenderized by small acts of patience.
The worker who assigned me my table, at a good distance from others (Covid-saftey measure) sweetly explained how the system works--though he must have said it a million times already.

We are being humans together, sometimes better than other times.

I bought a duvet cover in neutral colors: beige, cream, soft blue & gray.
It looks great next to my white walls. Calming.

6 comments:

  1. That rings true..when Mercury is retrograde messages do go awry, people misunderstand.

    As things reopen we shouldn't rush back in...we should take time and think.

    Sad to lose a fellow human being, however flawed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will be a long month for me. Looking forward to pictures of the renovation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to Ikea in almost a year and never ate the food there. I bought my current duvet cover from there, with matching pillow cases, but in bright blues, soft pastels aren't for me. I have it covered with a soft blue blanket to protect it from cat claws. I bet your room looks really lovely now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GZ: "Take time and think" = words for the ages!

    JOANNE: I'm posting some pictures on my IG: www.instagram.com/frescadp

    RIVER: The food at IKEA here is usually very good (and inexpensive)--not enough turn over the day I went to keep it fresh. I like sitting in the cafeteria---big windows, Scandinavian design.

    I don't care much for pretty pastels, like baby blue and pink.
    I looked up "pastel", and it's any color that's softened with white, so technically tan/beige is a pastel,
    and that matter, so is gray!
    Huh.

    I am still rearranging my room, but thanks, yeah, it's feeling lovely to me-so clean and bright. I posted a photo on IG--link in comment above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear of the killing of one of your Vinnie regulars.how awful for you all. You say she got tiny clothes...do you mean for children? Dolls? Herself? I’m glad she had kindness from you and your coworkers: bright moments in a hard life, I’m sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BINK: Thank you, her death is this invisible tragedy...
    No uprising.
    Tiny clothes for herself, such as are worn in her trade.
    I think you're right--the store was a little bit of a happy place for her.

    ReplyDelete