Sunday, May 9, 2021

Through the Window

I am slowly buying favorite books I gave away when I moved in 2019--replacing some staples.

Yesterday I ordered Barbara Pym's Excellent Women.

I've read this novel a dozen times in the past thirty years--why did I think I didn't need to keep my copy?
But I was glad to find a newer Penguin Classic with this perfect illustration of restraint and longing on the cover
.
I can't see who painted it--will have to wait for the book to arrive.

I thought of Winifred Nicholson, who painted a lot of plants on windowsills--I love them. Her work feels Pymish, but the cover painting of the orange tree is crisper and the setting is, unlike what I've seen of Nicholson's, urban.
(Gosh, I only learned of WN in 2013.)


Winifred Nicholson, "Daffodils and Pewter Jug" (1953--the year after Excellent Women was published)


 Here's a scene out my window.
"Squash the Squirrel & Excellent Girlettes, Squirrel Sighting!"


4 comments:

  1. That's a nice way to spend a day, squirrel watching with all the girlettes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, I am blogging---Squash the Squirrel is indeed spending the entire day "squirrel watching with all the girlettes"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squirrel watching squirrel. Love it! And you and the girlettes!

    ReplyDelete