Sunday, May 9, 2021

Thrift Photo Round-Up

Thirteen donations to the thrift store where I work  

[Other "thrift store donations" posts]

BELOW: One of several hand-labeled bags of rubber bands:

ABOVE: Does anyone remember the name of these dolls?
[Update: They're Liddle Kiddles from the 1970s.]
I put them in a bag for 99¢, and someone bought them right up.

ABOVE: Found in an old Swedish cookbook: "Burning Sulfur to kill bedbugs"; spiced plums recipe; Saline Laxative boxtop (I'd think the spiced plums would to the trick); Good Gingerbread
________________

"Moms Things"  . . .  Sorry, Moms:

ABOVE: One of my favorite things: Considerate Post-It Notes on books.
"Be warned: First in series & other 2 not published"
(I looked it up, and the second of the series has now been published.)
For the HUMANITY IS NOT ALL BAD file
_______________________

BELOW: Pencil w/ sheath from Live Stock Selling Agency
So. St. Paul, Minn.
The green pencil part fits into the white eraser part.

UPDATE: Thanks, Michael, for letting me know in the comments,
"
That pencil is (usually) called a bullet pencil. More popular rurally, I think, and often (always?) giveaways. I would guess that they often went in the little pocket at the top of a pair of overalls."

BELOW: Mystifying label on a shelf by a coworker:
Blue is OuR "color"
(Maybe referring to the color tag of the week.)
 


ABOVE: I will never not love Scotch tape repairs.

BELOW: Ditto, old boxes of sewing notions:
"Snap Fasteneres & Eyelet Pliers" in Yardley Lavender Soap box


BELOW:
People donate food that is a little to a lot past its "best by" date. (A lot = as old as 2003, here in 2021.)
I usually throw it--especially anything with oil, which goes rancid. Some coworkers put it out--here, cans of ancient cake frosting, with a note, OLD FOOD
TAKE AT YOUR OWN RISK!! (And people did.)

BELOW:  Ass't Man saved this handmade, broken Fimo creature for me. His best quality is identifying stuff that coworkers will like and giving it to them.

 
BELOW: Waffle iron with cloth-wrapped cord.
I read that "
The cloth-covered cords on hot appliances usually were filled with asbestos to protect the wires from heat."

(Coworker's note: "I haven't check these. They're greesy needs cleaning before we plug 'em in.")

Below: Another favorite thing---puzzle-lovers note and even hand-make replacements for missing puzzle pieces:
Another piece of proof that HUMANITY IS NOT ALL BAD.

6 comments:

  1. I think those are La-La Loopsy dolls, but can't be sure. I have several books with sticky tape repairs and a couple with duct taped spines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RIVER: Thanks, the little dolls are similar to La La Loopsy dolls, but much older--I think I remember these from my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I did some digging and found them: the 4 little girl dolls are Liddle Kiddles from the 1970s!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pencil is (usually) called a bullet pencil. More popular rurally, I think, and often (always?) giveaways. I would guess that they often went in the little pocket at the top of a pair of overalls. Traveler’s Company makes upscale versions.

    Thanks for these pics, Fresca. As someone who does a lot more looking-at than buying, I enjoy them greatly. (Except for the old food. Have you ever seen swollen cans? Yeesh!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun pics! Those Liddle Kiddles dolls ARE CREEPY though! They are the kind of doll that gives dolls a bad name--sort of like evil clowns. Glad they were immediately sold and are not hanging out at your store anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MICHAEL: Thanks, I added that info to the post.

    BINK: Aw, I thought the Liddles were kinda cute---though I can see their creepiness, and they were very bunged up...

    ReplyDelete