Sunday, May 2, 2021

The Bundt-Pan Drum Man: A Recipe for Helping

 I'd mentioned that on the evening of the guilty verdict for Chauvin, Twitter reported a drum made of what appeared to be Bundt cake pans being played at the celebration at George Floyd Square.

I'd been texting with coworkers and joked, "Maybe that pan is from our store."

And it was!
HM went to the celebration and caught it on video.
I know this guy--he's a musician who comes into the store all the time and buys stuff to make instruments.

Michael commented: "
That’s Douglas Ewart! He’s an internationally known musician and instrument maker."
More about the George Floyd Bundt Staff here.*

Other band members--
they play together at community events:


This is such a great reminder to me of the power of creative work. Sometimes I (we) feel helpless in the face of human horrors.
This can be a recipe for inactivity.

But doing & sharing something creative helps not just the maker, but helps other people too--even if just with the uplift that comes from a momentary smile.

Feel helpless?
Cook up some noise. We've got instruments in our kitchens!

A blog-friend from Bosnia points out the huge power of people saying/doing anything in the face of injustice.
Silence is a recipe for disaster.

She'd written:
"
There is a difference between here [the US] and Bosnia.
People in Bosnia kept quiet all the time because ...unmarked and armed officials would break into your house during the night and take people away.
People here keep on saying their opinion. That difference might save the USA.
"


The rest of her message, here.

P.S. I got thinking about this because recently someone told me they felt helpless so they weren't going to do anything.
That's backwards!

6 comments:

Linda Sue said...

Not doing anything is so YESTERDAY! We do not have that sort of time to waste.
I love the bundt pan instrument, I am sure it sounds just right! And he can stack them in a corner and rest the pole against the closet door, voila- space!

Michael Leddy said...

That’s Douglas Ewart! He’s an internationally known musician and instrument maker. More about the George Floyd Bunt Staff here.

The next time Douglas comes in, tell him that Ben’s dad and mom say hello. Photo of Douglas and Ben here.

River said...

A drum from cake pans! My grand daughter used to bash away at my upturned saucepans with wooden spoons, she is 27 now and has other things to occupy her time.

Fresca said...

LINDA SUE: Right? No time to waste. Do the littlest little something!
My 95 year old auntie who eschewed politics her whole life changed after the Stoneman Douglas High School shootings--asked me to buy her a "March for Our Lives" T-shirt she could wear in her little community.
My hero!

MICHAEL: Wow!!! I am so glad to know more about Douglas---that's the only name he ever gave me. Told me he was a musician but never said, "Check this out."

And I LOVE seeing the instruments he makes---
my favorite includes a hamster wheel--(Marz made a hat with one once)!

How cool that he and your son played together---I will mention it to him--he's in fairly often.

RIVER: Yes, the creativity of children---if only we could maintain that into adulthood---DOLLS HELP!!! :)

gz said...

Not doing anything..yes, rabbit caught in the headlights...wants to run, but...

Fresca said...

GZ: Great analogy---MOVE, little rabbit!!!