Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Now, Without Pictures!

 I started reading the first volume of Christopher Isherwood's diaries, 1939–1960, last night. I've already read the second volume.

I'm not fond of Isherwood.  I'm not sure why all not. He's too
. . .  maybe, fastidious? (about things I don't care about, like his meditation practice and his weight) to be inviting or entertaining.
As I read this volume, I'll pay attention to why I don't actually care for the guy.

I'm reading his journals because he's a writer and an observer, and over time his observations pile up to be interesting. His record keeping over time is inspiring. 

I was saying to Marz that Isherwood wrote in his diary regularly throughout most of his adult life, and with no pictures.

When I first blogged (the deleted Flightless Parrots, 2003–2006), I didn't know how to add photos--the "insert image" icon came later. I only ever posted text.
Now I rarely post without a picture.
I like pictures, but too often I rely on them instead of words, which I don't like.

 Marz said, "Why don't you blog for a month without photos?"

So I'm going to try that, starting now.

9 comments:

  1. Without photos we have to use our brain to conjure up images which is a good exercise. And a good exercise for the writer to draw us a picture with words!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures are everything! There are way too many words in the world and If I can not speak your language pictures/art are best. That is one reason that i do like ASL ,as well. My brain just works better with visual representations. Some folks are like that-Different strokes. Condensed writing, poetry, haikus and short analogies are like visuals, Writing is a whole other thing. Committing to the New Yorker articles is the best I can do as reading a load of words goes. When i go to a blog if all i see is paragraph after paragraph - I move on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why would anyone read something they don't care for? I would only do that in school if it was necessary. Otherwise I read only what I enjoy. Mostly fiction, but sometimes biographies.
    A whole month with no pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i will miss the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As the named advocate of this Pure Text endeavor, I've always liked the phrase "I've seen enough". Try it out today. It's spring. Consider a lily and say "I've seen enough". Look up into a tree and say "I'd like to hear more about this". Or as my old music teacher put it: "Talk to me, Trumpets."

    ReplyDelete
  6. KIRSTEN: Yes, that's it---I have to use my brain in a different way if I'm writing without accompanying pictures.

    LINDA SUE: A picture is worth a thousand words!

    RIVER: I do care for Isherwood's diaries, I just don't care for the man himself much.
    Like a person might love a novel but not want to have dinner with the novelist.

    BINK: But you can still see my life in person! :)

    MARZ: Thank you for proposing the True Text Endeavor!
    (You are a delight.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now you've got me curious about Isherwood's diaries. I love reading people's diaries. I may order these forthwith!

    In the early days of blogging, as I recall, we were given a limit for how much data we could store with our free blogs -- so we had an incentive to post few pictures and keep them small. Nowadays, no more limits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. STEVE: I know I said I don't exactly love the man himself, but I do recommend Isherwood's diaries!

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. I'd forgotten--blog limits! We used to be more aware of how much physical energy it takes to store data.

    ReplyDelete