Saturday, February 20, 2021

Three Great-Grandparents

Thinking about where and who I came from, here in 2021 about to turn sixty...

These are the earliest family photos I have  

Below: Charles E. Covert (1868–1962), my mother's mother's father = my great-grandfather.
He was a property lawyer in the small town of Houston, Missouri.
I have his last name for my middle name, because my father liked him (the only person in my mother's family my father liked)--said he was blunt.


Below: My father's father's mother = my great-grandmother, Marianne, standing behind her seated husband, Michael = my great-grandfather.
Michael was (I think) a shoemaker in a town near Palermo, Sicily.
My grandfather, Vincenzo, had already gone to America--his brother is holding his photo.

5 comments:

  1. As someone whose family past is largely a mystery, I'll say you’re way fortunate to have these pieces of history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great photos and it is good that you know who these people are this far back. Who is the tiny child in the photo? She looks like she is not enjoying the experience of having her picture taken!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to be able to look back and see where you came from. I have a photo of my grandmother with my exact nine year old face, so I can see where I got those genes from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a valuable resource...
    We must sort out photos soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, all.
    Yes, I feel lucky to have some old photos of family!

    SARAH: Oddly, my auntie could name all the others--her grandparents, uncles and aunt--but had no idea who that tiny person was.
    A very curious child---and, as you say, not seeming too happy...

    ReplyDelete