Saturday, February 20, 2021

Some Decades

Finishing up my sixth decade---I spent the morning looking for photos of me around the time I changed decades. I felt low, thinking about people who are gone, but a life review always interesting and good.

It sort of surprises me how much I've always been identifiably exactly me.

Below, left, on the lap of my mother (Lytton Virginia Davis), in my first decade. I notice now that my toes were very fine.
My sister sits on the lap of my mother's best friend, Emilie.


Below, center: Me, the summer I was nine, with my best friend, Helen, left, and Helen's sister Lisa. 
I loved the dress I'm wearing so much--can you see? it has a giraffe on it.
 
And the winter I was ten:

Below,
At twenty

Below: bink took this photo of me in my late-twenties, crowned with seaweed at the Atlantic Ocean, the year we lived out east

Below: Polaroid of me in my early thirties, arriving at the art-college library where I worked. That's an orange in my bike basket.

 
Below: On Camino at forty (with Jayme & Mike, fellow peregrinos). I still prefer to sit and drink coffee. 


Below: Fifty years old, brushing my teeth at an albergue on Camino, with bink (center) & Marz (right):

And just the other day, at work...

6 comments:

  1. I love these pictures-especially the one on your Mum's lap with your fine toes and the seaweed one. It is great that you have pictures of your self through the decades. I am not sure if I have but it has inspired me to look now. The sadness of those who are gone also must lead to happy memories of them I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sixth decade is a breeze!! congratulations! I am old enough to be your baby sitter and I can tell you that life only gets better, until it doesn't. I love your photos, agree with Sarah, the toes are the winner! and the bike with the basket with you and the orange. LOVE it. Life is a cabaret, old chum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos, every single one. I wonder if I can find my own decades photos, they'll be in old albums that I got after my mum died, packed away in one of the suitcases. Finding and sorting will be a long, long job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Fresca,

    I'm trying to remember 60, it was only a dozen years back but I cannot bring it. Maybe after my second coffee. I too love going to funky little coffee shops where they have great coffee, good music choices and soft, relaxing atmosphere. Books all around is a plus.

    Have a great day...

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard Daniel Pinkwater say (in response to a kid’s question at a library event) that all your previous ages are inside you. Which seems a way of saying (I’m extrapolating) that you are indeed always exactly yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to come! And the girlettes and RBG bear here are clamoring to include them in the wishes!!!

    What an interesting retrospective. I have all of my parents slides so wonder if I could do the same!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete