Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Minimalism: More! More!

Linda Sue, I love you! Linda Sue of Lady Margaret's Curlers made a minimalist manger out of "what was handy in the thing drawer":
lindahoof.blogspot.com/2020/12/the-rain-turned-white-nativity-nailed-it

She says hers isn't "adequately minimal". I'd thought that of mine too, since I used Sputnik to represent the star... But then thought,
There are no rules! We're in a pandemic! Do what you like!
Still, yes, a sonnet is not a sonnet if it's not to form. She says she'll make another one.

Meanwhile Sarah made a second minimalist nativity out of magnets that is truly and entirely adequately minimal:
circles-of-rain.blogspot.com/2020/12/christmas-stuff-and-new-doll-painting

Maybe I'll try again too...  Join us?

Oh--and for the opposite of minimalism, I am loving Michael plucking and posting sentences from Proust on Orange Crate Art.
"I am reading Proust", I can finally say... one sentence at a time.
Which, actually, is a pretty good way to do it. Each sentence is like a chocolate truffle.

                      "That's the guy I hired to read Proust for me."


5 comments:

  1. I am tempted to try another one, that is even more minimalist. What are the vital elements I need to include I ask myself! I have Proust on my Kindle but have not read any of it. It/he remains on my great unread list-along with 'War and Peace' and any James Joyce, and The cartoon made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair warning: tomorrow’s sentence might be more like a brick, unless I can find another one (ten pages to go today).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cartoon! I had it on my office door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SARAH: I was going to try again but think I'll stick to portrait painting. :)

    "Proust on My Kindle"---what a perfect 21st century phrase!
    I also have a Great Unread List. :)

    MICHAEL: Oh, that was a doozy--I had to read it extra carefully, and then I thought, I'VE DONE THAT!
    That's the pleasure of that kind of close, interior writer, I think?
    I don't read them much (Woolf is another), but when I read a snippet I'm like, THIS IS INSIDE MY BRAIN.

    Ha-ha--how perfect you had the cartoon on the door. It's you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MICHAEL: This one, right?

    "Mme. Verdurin, seeing that Swann was two steps away, now wore that expression in which the desire to make the person who is talking be quiet and the desire to maintain a look of innocence in the eyes of the person who is hearing neutralize each other in an intense nullity of gaze, in which the motionless sign of intelligence and complicity is concealed beneath an innocent smile, and which in the end, being common to all those who find themselves making a social blunder, reveals it instantly, if not to those making it, at least to the one who is its victim."

    So funny!
    So recognizable!

    ReplyDelete