Friday, December 25, 2020

#2021goals

Speaking of fictional meals to emulate, one day this coming year I want to try draining spaghetti through a tennis racket.
I cannot believe is is anywhere near as easy as Jack Lemmon makes it look, here as Mr Baxter, cooking Christmas dinner for the suicidal Miss Kubilek (Shirley MacLaine) in The Apartment (Billy Wilder, 1960), which I watched last night with Marz on her recommendation.

A beautifully bleak film (the joy is in the visuals), with a sliver of happiness at the end.
But will the happiness slither off the edge, like wet spaghetti?

I think the spaghetti would behave like an octopus, but Marz says no, that I have no idea how physical things behave, it wouldn't be that hard to drain it in a tennis racket.

So... WE SHALL SEE WHO'S RIGHT!


Either way, to do it like Jack Lemmon, who does seven things at once with his hands, without looking---now that would be impossible.

I hope to write more later today, but now I'm going to put the pot roast in the oven. I do take the time to sear the meat and veg beforehand, but it's a very easy meal indeed.

Merry Christmas, everyone! Or what have you...

5 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you Fresca and Marz from us in Texas. It's a gorgeous day here, nice bright sun to wake up to. I will cook a ham for the bubble. It is warming to room temperature at the moment and it will go in the oven soon.
    Thanks so much for sharing and your blog in general. It helps make my day more beautiful.

    Tom and Dimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Tom!
    Thanks for your kind words and comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a whisk broom that may do the job...no tennis racket here. Merry jolly and bright, round yawn virgin so slender and wild.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the biggest spaghetti draining problem is how wide the stings are strung apart in a tennis racket. I think it would turn out a lot like this picture: he's losing some through the stings--and would certainly lose more if he rinced it.

    I hope your pot roast is lovely! And only toke 3-5 hands to make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas to Fresca and Marz and all.

    The Apartment is on Turner Classics today, starting at 4:45 Central. I am cheered to see that they count it as a Christmas movie. Christmas movies are all they’re showing now.

    ReplyDelete