Sunday, November 29, 2020

"The Wave"

I put together a photo-book for bink for Thanksgiving, commemorating her 2010 "DVD to ART" project.

I've posted these photos large; you may have to scroll right > to see the whole spread. (The Dalek & Robin Hood art is by bink.)

 


 
 
 
 
 
 




 
 
 

 

 



__________________________


The 2015 U.S. Supreme Court ruling on marriage equality (
Obergefell v. Hodges, the majority opinion was written by Anthony Kennedy) is gooily romantic about marriage:
"No union is more profound than marriage..."
I don't particularly share this view.
This is what I get all swoony about:
"equal dignity in the eyes of the law."

Whatever you think of the ideals of marriage, a wedding involves entering into a legal contract with the state.
Some people seems to miss this.

I used to be a receptionist at a place that hosted "Shared Parenting" classes on Saturday mornings. Courts would order divorcing parents to attend this half-day class.
Once in a while, an outraged parent would grumble to me,
"How can they make me do this?!"

I would say, "You signed a legal document giving the state this right." Remember?

People are buffaloed by the romance of the institution.
People are stupid.
We should have equal rights to be stupid (within reason).

 _________________
There had long been rumors and accusations about the sexual impropriety of the archbishop, Nienstedt, who'd sent out the anti–marriage–equality DVDs in 2010, along with accusations about him covering up other priests' sexual abuse of children.

Nienstedt resigned in 2015
following St Paul prosecutor's decision to file civil and criminal charges against the archdiocese for failing to protect children.
As of 2020, the archbishop still holds his title and has not been investigated.
--Via the Strib
"Request to Vatican to investigate Archbishop Nienstedt in limbo", March 2020.

4 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

Repurposing, of a high order!

Good riddance to that hateful cleric.

Sarah said...

This is great. Bink found a brilliant way to turn hatefulness into love. Shame the Archbishop has not been investigated yet.

River said...

"a wedding involves entering a legal contract with the state"?? Really?
I think The Wave was a far better use of the dvds than the original intent.

Fresca said...

Thanks, Michael, Sarah, River. I'll pass your words on to bink.

River, I wrote a post about your question--I looked it up and I'm not sure "contract" is the right term---legal language gets so specific!) but yes, married people enter into a legal relationship with the state.