Sunday, November 1, 2020

Book Display: First; Once; One; 101; 1,000

I took down the Halloween books display at work yesterday afternoon. I had no plans for the next display--was just going to put out the best of incoming donations. The incoming donations included a couple history books with dates as titles: 1776 and 1914. So I scrounged around and came up with enough books with numbers in their titles for a display.

I like this sort of thing because it invites browsers (including me) to look into books they otherwise wouldn't bother with.

No problem with numbers one (including "first" and "once") through seven:
Empress of One; Two Towers; The Last Three Minutes; The Rule of Four
(bonus: Quartet in Autumn); Five Chiefs; A History of the World in Six Glasses; The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens (bonus: The Seventh Mesa).


But then I had to skip eight and nine to get to 
Ten North Frederic and Room No. 10; the Spanish language Once Minutes ("Eleven Minutes") and The 9/11 Commission Report--hey, that could count as "9", since I already have an "11"; and Twelfth Night (Shakespeare, on top shelf).

The order cannot hold, and we have to hop, skip, and jump:
19th Wife; 21: Bringing Down the House; 24 Days; Thirty Years War; Fifty Shades of Grey; (Pentagram tucked on the bottom left because it's tall); 101 Uses of a Dog (top shelf); 365 Days of Wonder; 1,000 Places to See Before You Die (top shelf); Arte Y Cultura en Torno a 1492; 1776; 1914; and 1915.


4 comments:

  1. This is no ordinary thrift store.

    The next time I'm in mine, I'll take a picture to send you. Billy Graham, Billy Graham, Billy Graham, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MICHAEL: LOL---we get those BGs too!
    I put out a few, but they just don't sell, even at 33 cents, so mostly they go to recycling.

    Having said that, we did get a first ed. of a BG book which I sold on eBay for $40.

    A couple people have told me that they donate books to us BECAUSE they know we will do a good job with them.
    As Custodian of Book's, that makes me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you do to draw in the customers. The only books I have with numbers are fiction novels by James Patterson. He has a series beginning with First to Die and it goes on from there but I don't remember what number he is up to, I haven't read past the first one. They are on my kindle, so not "real" books taking up shelf space.

    ReplyDelete