Saturday, September 19, 2020

"Justice, justice shall you pursue." --Deuteronomy

Illustration of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg by bink & me from our zine Baby's First Resist/story *(2017), "An Alphabet Book in a response to Trump's first 100 days."

RBG had calligraphed on her chambers' walls the command from Deuteronomy 16:20,

"Justice, justice shall you pursue."

May her memory be a blessing. 

Ha--I like this, also from RBG--2016 interview in the NYT:

Another often-asked question when I speak in public:
“Do you have some good advice you might share with us?”

Yes, I do. It comes from my savvy mother-in-law, advice she gave me on my wedding day. “In every good marriage,” she counseled, “it helps sometimes to be a little deaf.”

I have followed that advice assiduously, and not only at home through 56 years of a marital partnership nonpareil. I have employed it as well in every workplace, including the Supreme Court. When a thoughtless or unkind word is spoken, best tune out. Reacting in anger or annoyance will not advance one’s ability to persuade.

* (If you're on a computer, you can see it here--there's a page tab at the top bar of this page: "Key to Baby's First Resist/story".)

4 comments:

  1. I knew something was up when I read the T had announced the list of his SC nominees in the last week or so.

    RBG -- someone to aspire to be more like.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby's first resist is brilliant! Oh the good , clear folks on this earth do shine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "May I say that I have not thoroughly enjoyed serving with humans?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the book too, and also saw the illustrated version of The Last of Master which is great. I didn't know much about RBG until seeing the news over the last couple of days. She was an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete