Thursday, July 9, 2020

Sophronia, Erastus

Found in an 1859 Bible donated to the store: 
"Overcoming Anxiety" article for the Christian Science Monitor, June 14, 1917

BELOW: A record of Family Deaths written inside the Bible.
The names!

Erastus! [Latinized form of the Greek name Ἔραστος (Erastos) meaning "beloved"]

Sophronia! [A girl's name  from the Greek sophron – sensible. via]

There's a Davis--my mother's maiden name, which she used again after the divorce in 1974. I use Davis as a middle name sometimes.

3 comments:

gz said...

Things turn up at the right time sometimes.
I wonder if there is a family link, however far?

Fresca said...

GZ: Far enough back, I bet!
Greek-inspired names also turn up in my mother's ancestors, as was common in the American south (which liked to see itself as civilized along those lines): I had a great uncle Virgil Hines. Also Biblical names---a Uriah Sutherland!

bink said...

My paternal grandfather was named Homer. Funny how the name trickled down from ancient Greece to Missouri Hillbillies.