Friday, June 5, 2020

Will this potato grow?

A coworker found this potato on the floor at the thrift store a couple weeks ago. It'd rolled behind a shelf when we closed mid-March for Covid.
I put it in this vintage, fluted, glass candy dish to be our mascot.


When we came back after the uprisings in response to the police murdering George Floyd, the dish lay in pieces on the floor. I picked up the undamaged potato, took it home and planted its eyes (with some potato attached).
Anyone know anything about potatoes? Will it grow?

UPDATE: OK--thanks friends, for the potato-growing advice!
I have covered most of the eyes-sprouts with soil, because that's where the roots come from. And I will continue to add soil as it produces potatoes (if it does).

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I've never heard of planting eyes without the potato attached. But they're pretty vigorous plants. Anything is possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Steve. The potato itself provides nourishment to the eye which, as yo assumed, is the sprout for a new plant. We used to grow potatoes a lot in Oregon. If the soil is highly nutritious, the sprout can grow with the flesh to support it.
    I don't know much but that's my experience/memory.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many mistakes in my post, yo=you
    with=without.
    Flesh is like an egg yoke as I understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Steve & TJ DAVIS:
    I amended my post--I did cut the eyes with a chunk of potato attached.
    I'm going to hope that since it survived two-plus months in the empty store, it's got a strong will to live!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have to have a bit of soil coming up over the base of the sprout--that's where the roots start out from, I think. Except for that, potatoes really are easy to grow. I once stuck some sprouted potatoes in a bowl shaped planter for the foliage--a couple of months later I emptied it out and found the bowl packed with new potatoes. Watch out that the growing potatoes don't stick out and get sunburned. Put soil on top--"hill" them. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SALLY: Oh, thank you---another friend said to bury the sprouts--now I see what they meant when you explain that the roots come from there.

    I'd be satisfied if it survived as a green plant--funny to think it might actually produce pototoes like yours did!
    That would be fun.
    I will accept whatever comes...

    --Frex = Fresca

    ReplyDelete