Saturday, May 16, 2020

Apropos of the Reds

Michael sent me this passage--"apropos of the reds". (Thank you!)

"It's a sad view of reality that would limit it to the organic realm and not place the idea of soul in statuettes and needlework. Where there's form there's a soul."

--Fernando Pessoa, from text 416, The Book of Disquiet, trans. from the Portuguese by Richard Zenith (New York: Penguin, 2003).
"That's us!"
Penny Cooper, ^ after her photo shoot as the Lady of Shallot, is joined by Red Hair Girl (center) and SweePo, a couple summers ago.

There's a new kind of red-hair doll coming!
(I feel myself being pulled toward dolls...)
I search eBay for Madeline dolls every so often, and mine are not the only version, of course. I wouldn't think this doll (below) was meant to be Madeline, but thus she was advertised.


The close-up of her clothes decided me. And also that the opening bid was 99¢... and no one else bid. (Shipping cost $4 though.)
She's from Japan, so maybe 1960s?

A-ha! Found it--this is one of a pair of sailor "Joan Walsh Anglund Pocket Dolls" from 1966, based on JWA's illustrations.

The designer must've meant this model to be the boy of the pair: this doll originally wore a red bow tie and a straw hat, and the other doll wears a sailor top & skirt. 

This particular doll feels to me like a girl though. (Big surprise.)
She's due to arrive on Monday and can let me know if I'm wrong.

3 comments: