Thursday, May 14, 2020

Never been so happy to be wrong!

Thank you all for checking in about how it went on my first day back at work (at the still-closed thrift store)!

I am thrilled to report that I was entirely wrong: everything went great.

First thing, right away the E.D. says to the five of us staff people,
"There's no way we're opening next week. We cannot be safe. We cannot protect our customers, who are mostly vulnerable people.
When we open, everyone in the store should wear masks. No more than 22 people in the entire store, including staff. No children."
E.D., formerly Not My Favorite Guy, shot right up to Favorite Guy Ever.

Then--blessed be!--Big Boss had reconfigured work areas in the back, where we sort & price donations.
The crammed area I used to share with Mr Linens is now mine, and mine alone: all books, all the time. Covid aside, this is the best layout.


Finally, everyone was friendly and lovely! 
Turns out we five different people had had quite similar experiences: Everyone commented on having eaten and drunk more and done worthwhile things less than expected.

In the closed store, we could keep lots of space between us. Only two of us wore masks, but I felt okay distancing.

It was WONDERFUL to see the books again! And all the stuff.
I found some new sarongs from Thailand to make masks with---not the tightest weave cotton, so I'll leave an opening where people can insert coffee filters or even paper towels.


In the afternoon I picked up Penny Cooper: she's coming home to be my health care companion.
YAY!!!
You can see some of the sarongs--I'd pulled them out to show bink.
I'll work tomorrow and all next week. The store is in shambles--my St. Patrick's Day books on display, Easter baskets priced and waiting to go out.
Now we have time, we can do it right.
Wooosaaaaahhhhh....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So great to read all of the wonderful actions in the store! It sounds like everyone understands what they need to do.

Someone may have to be near the door to limit the incoming people. My hardware store does that. Most people will understand if you explain why to them maybe even ask them if they are looking for anything in particular so that they can be pointed in the right direction. They also put a sign out front saying how many people are allowed in at a time and to limit the browsing time which helps and doesn't appear to be an arbitrary rule but that everyone is treated the same.

My hardware store also limited browsing to 10 minutes per person.

I have great confidence you all will figure it out. Great catch on the fabrics!

Kirsten

Fresca said...

KIRSTEN: I hope we can put someone at the entrance door--that plan you describe sounds like the best approach.

Tororo said...

Great.

Michael Leddy said...

Good news.

Kirsten: your hardware store is a lot more thoughtful about things than mine. (Mine, I won’t enter, not now.)

Steve Reed said...

I'm glad going back to work felt better than expected. This coronavirus thing might actually benefit a lot of us by giving us some time away and an opportunity to reorganize our work flow and work spaces. (Don't get me wrong -- it's still miserable overall.)

Fresca said...

Thanks, all!

STEVE: I know what you mean--it's hard to say, "this is good" when it comes at a high price.
But there is good mixed in, and reorganized work space is one such good at my work, that's for sure!