Thursday, May 28, 2020

It's that simple.

Thank you, all who've commented or contacted me in the past couple days, as my city is rising up in love and rage. 
Never before has a simple message mattered so much to me.

I'm trying to reach out to people too, and I know I'm missing some because I can only do so much, and I'm frazzled.
This has been one of the weirdest days of my life. History and theory have squiggled off the page and out into the streets around me.

I told Big Boss I wanted to bike over to see our wounded store this morning.
"The street's not safe," he said.


I was going to go anyway. 
Then I thought, what good would I do? If I even got a flat tire biking over broken glass, it would drain my emotional energy.

How would that help anyone?

I biked to the grocery store instead and bought massive amounts of ingredients for lasagna. Cans of tomato sauce. Tomato paste. Chopped tomatoes. 
Five pounds of shredded mozzarella. Two tubs of ricotta. Eggs. Parmesan.  Organic ground beef.
Garlic.
Onions.
Parsley.
Eggplants.
Red bell peppers.
Zucchini and summer squash. 
Two boxes of lasagna noodles.

During the stay-at-home, a nearby community center has been giving away full meals in single-use aluminum pans. I've picked up several. What use will these ever be, I'd wondered as I washed and saved the foil pans.

This afternoon I baked lasagna in three of them. 
I asked bink to drive me, and together we took one pan of lasagna to BB, and one to Ass't Man. 

The two men are about the same age. They have children about the same age.
BB is black.
Ass't Man is white. 

When Ass't Man had started at the store, he'd said a hundred ignorant things nice white people say about race. (I've said them too.) To wit, "I don't see color."

Today he said, "Now I'm seeing my white privilege. That could have been BB the police had on the ground for nothing. And he's the best person I know.
But they wouldn't have done that to me."


It's that simple.  

❧ ❧ ❧
 
Now it's bedtime. Helicopters have flown overhead, but not incessantly like last night. 

I'm not going to look at the news before I turn out the light.* 
Here's how much I need to know:
enough so I am motivated to move, and in the right direction.
Too much more, and I'm paralyzed.


If the store's street is quiet tonight,  tomorrow we can go clean up.

❧ ❧ ❧

* I lied. I just checked Facebook. Despite local organizers' pleas for nonviolence, protestors occupied the Third Precinct police department, a mile away, and set it on fire an hour or so ago.  [Later, arsonists were caught and charged for this and other fires--the arsonists were mostly white, mostly not local protestors.]
The National Guard is coming in. 

And the police who killed George Floyd have still not been charged.

There's the whopwhopwhop of the helicopters again. 

I don't usually talk in these terms, but if you're inclined, now would be a good time to pray for peace.
Or write a letter. 


Or... bake some lasagna to share.

Love you all! XO Fresca

9 comments:

  1. Long time lurker, but had to thank you for this raw and true post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sad that all this is happening yet again; and sad for you too that it's happening in your city and on your turf at the store. And heartened by the humanity you are expressing on your blog and for SVDP and in your actions. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you, UNKNOWN & SALLY S.
    I really appreciate you reaching out. Sending love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does BB know how much he is loved and of the realization your white co-worker and you have shared with us about the unspoken danger he faces, the same danger that took the life of George Floyd?

    Your post is a stark reminder - no, more a kick in the teeth - of the institutionalized divisions in our society.

    I hope peace and justice come to Minneapolis STAT. May the love of St. Vincent surround and protect all Minneapolis' citizens during this sorrow-filled tragedy; most especially you and your co-workers and friends we have come to know through your heartfelt and inspirational posts.

    If love is a palpable, living thing, I hope it will be a shield to protect all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be careful kid and remember it's not your job to, "fix" it. I know, I would try too but I too would fail. This is in the hands of the, "Lord of All Creation," and regardless of what the brilliant Mr. Vonnegut may have been thinking when he coined that phrase, "The Lord of all creation has not made a horrible mistake." Our job is to understand that and deal with it. Spread love and Lasagna everywhere.
    If there I would try to make my goal, “How many folks can I personally feed today? One more than yesterday?” I once lived one toe in the street. I had a sheltered porch to sleep on.
    :)
    Love your blog BTW. I am the silent majority.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a big step for Asst man.
    Sending big hugs and hope to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking of you and everyone in your wounded city. Thanks for giving us this perspective of life on the ground. I hope things quiet down, but even more I hope that justice is served. And bravo for making the lasagnas and creating some positive energy in the middle of all that chaos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lasagna is good. We need more lasagna, and no more racism, and no more police violence. We also need prosecution of those who engage in that violence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THANKS ALL!
    My brain is too fatigued to say more, but I love that you've commented---thank you.
    XO Frex = Fresca

    ReplyDelete