Thursday, April 2, 2020

Quarantine Cooking

Hello, everybody! How are you doing? What are you doing? Are you keeping busy?

I worked at home for fifteen years doing publishing gigs, so this––being left to my own devices––is familiar, and even welcome (though not, of course, the reason for it!).

Holy Whole Cooking

I'm doing something I haven't done in 30 years though:
cooking basic foods that are laborious to make--stuff that I usually buy prepared because it's easier.


Now I have time and space (my former apartment's kitchen was just a corner of my living space), and motivation to stay home instead of popping out to the grocery store (and the added incentive of a HouseMate to share food with), I've made a couple stand-bys from my youth, when I was into whole cooking from Moosewood and Laurel's Kitchen, before that sort of food became standard in the Midwest.

Each of these can be made with whatever you have on hand, spiced to your taste.

Refried beans.
Boil up pinto beans; fry up garlic and spices (cumin, chili): throw in the beans and mash them up with a potato masher.
Simple, cheap, and no metal to recycle, but buying them in a can is a lot less bother.


Granola.
Heat 1/4 cup each brown sugar, honey, and oil (I mixed canola & coconut).

Mix 4 c. rolled oats, cinnamon, a smidge of salt.
Add whatever extras you have on hand.
(I had sunflower seeds, walnuts, and craisins).


Mix oil into oats.

Bake on cookie sheets at 250ยบ for an hour, 
stirring every 15 min.

My twist---I used HOLY SALT, blessed by the Virgin Mary at Medjugore! Someone had donated this to the thrift store months ago and I'd finally taken it home.


Yogurt's up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment