Tuesday, March 31, 2020

I cannot recommed Brussels sprouts in a Bloody Mary.

I am a little bit drunk.
I spent the afternoon in the sun at a park along the Mississippi River, talking on the phone for three hours to my friend Julia (Happify on IG).
On the way I passed the first crocuses I've seen this spring.

The girlette Tag

I came home and made Bloody Marys with HouseMate. We've been having a nightly happy hour. 
I've definitely been drinking more in the past couple weeks--or, rather, drinking differently--not just because, as before, I like a beer or a glass of wine, but now quite clearly because it's emotionally calming–– especially if I'm sharing happy hour. 

HM & I laughed so much making this cocktail (is a Bloody Mary a cocktail? I guess it is... but it seems like it's in a category  more like smoked fish)....
We were laughing because we didn't have the correct ingredients, except vodka---so we had to improvise.
(I've never made a Bloody Mary, but we looked it up.)

Instead of tomato juice, we put a can of Rotel tomatoes in the blender.

For the garnishes, we skewered raw garlic, a pickle, chunks of summer sausage (free food from the thrift store, two weeks ago), and Wisconsin cheddar cheese, and––instead of a celery stalk, we sliced Brussels sprouts lengthwise.
(This was NOT a success, in terms of flavor.)
Also, cumin, celery salt, fresh lime juice, and [required] Worcestereshire sauce.

We were laughing so much putting it together, that was better than the drink itself, though actually, it was quite good!

Then we sat on the back porch in the late-afternoon sun and ate Ritz crackers and sharp Wisconsin Cheddar cheese.
It was really nice!
So... here are a few catch-up photos.
The third Star Trek-themed face mask I've made. This one features Dr. McCoy.
(Don't get me started on the f*-up of management's protection (not) of their workers.)

Mz brought Penny Cooper to visit again yesterday!
We sat across the street from each other.


At the river, I saw an angel hanging from a nail on the phone pole.

And Low drew in the dirt.

I hope you are all doing okay. Are you? Write and let me know (here or on email)---I'd be happy to hear! One way or another.
Ciao!

5 comments:

  1. Everything in moderation — especially uncooked Brussels sprouts. (They are raw, yes?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed and laughed reading this post. And of course,I now want me some Bloody Mary. I don't have any vodka, and not a single droplet of tomato juice, but I got rum and some cherry tomatoes. So I will follow your recipe as closely as possible, using rum, more rum ad a cherry tomato as a decoration.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, that's pretty darn innovative -- your Bloody Mary, I mean. I'm impressed! I'm drinking slightly more now too. I suspect there's a lot of that going on. And I LOVE that mask. I would wear that! I wish I could sew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're masks are getting so fancy! We need a second one...sharing doesn't work when we're both going out the same dayl. (But, of course, only if you want to keep sewing them.)

    I'm glad Marz is wearing masks at work. I was just at the Wedge (wearing a scarf over my face, cuz M needed the mask to go to CVS for her prescriptions). Very disappointed in lack of social distancing there. Sign on the door said they only let 75 (!) in---well, that's a small store, with narrow aisles--if 75 people had been in there it would have been packed! As it was, I was constantly within 2-3 feet of someone else and no-one was wearing a mask. One employee had a scarf up over his mouth, but not his nose. I might have missed a customer or two with a mask on ... but seriously, I was appalled. I feel much safer shopping at Aldi's with their wide aisles, and where people appeared to try to keep their distance.

    The woman in front of me at check-out, and the woman bagging, both about my age--were chatting (2 feet from where I was bagging my groceries) saying how they "just couldn't" watch anymore news about the virus--as if that granted them immunity: because, hey! they we're enlightened Wedge-ites. Neither wore masks or made any effort to put space between themselves or others. Insane.

    I'm glad Marz is taking precautions. I doubt I'll go back to the Wedge until this is all over, due to their caviler attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MICHAEL: Yes the Brussels sprouts were raw. Moderation in their case would be "none".

    TORORO: You returned the favor and made me laugh out loud. Rum and cherry tomatoes!
    Too funny!

    STEVE: Thanks--I like the Dr McCoy mask too!
    You could stitch a mask by hand, if you have a needle and thread... and, of course, fabric.
    Just basic straight stitching.
    Of course a scarf works too--no sewing required.

    BINK: Julia pointed out that the people who should be getting the word out to grocery store managers have not been doing so--the local health authorities---should come up with a protocol.
    Like sneeze guards at cash registers, etc.

    Again, I'd sort of thought there was a plan waiting in the wings, since this virus (or one like it) has long been expected.
    Ergh.






    ReplyDelete