Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Grooves

These are grooved iron blades of an old hydro-electric turbine (1924–1994) standing on the bluffs above a Mississippi River dam.

__________________________________________

The turbine is around 10-foot-tall.
I came across it when I was biking along the Mississippi yesterday.

It's from the former Ford Motor Plant,

which harvested energy from the river dam below.

The iron blades were worn (by water?) where they curve--I circled the area in yellow. 

The grooves are surprisingly different from one another, 
like bones and bodies.
They are so beautiful, I walked around and photographed each blade.

Info plaque on the turbine:

6 comments:

  1. very cool! they do look like bones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BINK: We should bike over there one day (past Ford Parkway)---you could bring your bike in M's car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Water wore that metal away? That's pretty amazing. They ARE beautiful shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. STEVE: I'm not entirely sure it was water... But I looked it up and it doesn't look like there is anything mechanical rubbing on those spots.

    The turbine was in use for 70 years, and water does wear stones smooth, so I'm thinking that was the force in play here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SARAH: If I were a sculptor, I'd be so envious of/inspired by the powers that made this piece.

    ReplyDelete