Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Dog Walk

It was too rainy & windy for me to bike yesterday, but when the rain let up in the afternoon, I took the dog for a walk.

He's always up for a long walk. He's young--just four years old; I've never managed to tire him out.

The orange sign announces that playgrounds are closed--as of yesterday:
During this past weekend's warm weather, people proved they were NOT going to maintain social distance while playing basketball.

The basketball hoop is covered over with a board:

Dogette is half Labrador Retriever--he doesn't care how cold the water is, he wants to go in. (The breed originally retrieved fish and fishing nets.) He won't retrieve though! Maybe that's his Beagle half--they're bred to chase game, not retrieve it.

I'm glad I'd gotten a retractable leash at the thrift store last fall. 
I'd been letting Dog off the leash in the winter, but now it's spring, squirrels and bunnies are out, and he chases them into the street.

Lake Hiawatha is a small lake---it's 3 miles to walk around it only because a fenced, city-owned golf course extends one side.
Unlike the basketball courts, it's not closed. 


I've never played golf. If the thrift store were open, I'd grab a golf club and give it a try.
Oh! No I wouldn't: I just looked it up, and it costs $29 to play. Yikes! 
Oh well. Dogs aren't allowed on the course anyway.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, golf is a major financial commitment! Although some communities have publicly-owned courses that offer free or reduced fees. (I've never touched a golf club myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. STEVE: This is a publicly-owned course: I guess this is a reduced fee?

    OK--yeah, sort of--according to Golf Advisor, elite courses like
    Sawgrass and Pebble Beach can run anywhere from $495-635 for 18 holes.

    I've played miniature golf, that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to get out, even if the weather isn't great. Your dog looked like he enjoyed himself. I used to play on a small pitch and putt course with my family. I wasn't very good and used to get a bit cross. My brother in law Paul taught me how to properly swing the golf club(for a right handed player) and at least I could then hit the ball off the tee. The left arm does all the lining up and swinging through, then the right follows it. It was a revelation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SARAH: Yes, I had to make myself go out, but then was so glad I did.

    The dog belongs to my housemate--she owns a little house I rent a room in. Dog comes free with rent.

    The physics of golf is fascinating. I watched Tiger Woods swing in slow motion--it was gorgeous, like one of those marvelous spirals in motion.

    But I think I'd get a bit cross playing golf too--I'm no good at sports.

    ReplyDelete