Monday, April 20, 2020

Fresh Bear, Glum Me

I finished restoring Mr Bear today--stuffed and sewed him up. 
I'll walk him home tomorrow--Mr Bear lives a couple miles away. That'll be my big outing of the day!
He's not a dramatic looking Before & After case. The dramatic change is to his feel--he was a solid lump, now he's squishy and mobile. I like him a lot.
In truth, I liked Mr Bear's old weight--he had heft. His new stuffing is fabulously mobile and soft, but it lacks gravitas.
Still, he's a much more pleasant bear to touch now.

I'm glad I did a kindness (Mr Bear's owner had offered to pay, but I said no)--otherwise I'm a bit aimless and glum today.
That's a sane response to a hard time. 
It's been five weeks since I worked my last shift at the thrift store on March 17, the same day the restaurants and other non-essentials closed.

I'm not bored---there's plenty of entertainment (reading, sewing, writing, etc.)--but I'm not being of immediate use, and that's hard. 
It's hard that some people have to take all the active risks, while the rest of us can only help by NOT doing things.
Free-floating nothingness---that's difficult for the humans.


(Of course some of us are suffering, sick and dying. I'm happy to suffer doing nothing (in order to help stop/reroute that). And it seems Minnesota's response is working to slow the spread.) 

I could use a project, but I'm fresh out of excellent ideas that I'm motivated to do. 
I'm out of cool fabric to make masks. I could use old pillow cases and the like, but it's feels kind of pointless to sew boring masks that won't bring joy to the wearer--and viewer. You can wear a scarf just as well.

Oh--another useful thing I did today:
I baked a ham using a recipe from Krista (thanks!) with a free Easter ham work gave us (dropped it off at worker's houses).
I wouldn't have bothered but HM and her son who's staying here (till June?) can eat it too.

The pineapple glaze has ginger and garlic in it: www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pineapple-glazed-ham-106782

The ham was not bone-in, and the only mustard in the house is yellow––so, it's not the best ham ever.
I blame the pandemic--normally I'd have biked to the store for Dijon, but I don't want to shop for just one thing.

.
I also took the dog out, but instead of our usual long walk by the lake, I only had the oomph to go a couple blocks. We went past the closed library, and I felt sad.
Eight local libraries are offering curbside pick up now--how brilliant is that? I wish ours would, but it's a very small branch so I doubt it will.
I don't need books, but I'd like the exchange.


Two more weeks until this round of stay-at-home ends on May 4. I hear speculation it will be extended again, as it probably should be.

I don't know... 
I'm going to be a good Buddhist (I'm not a Buddhist) and just sit with these feelings and let them be. 
The weird feelings have a right to be here--in fact, they only make sense. Accepting the weirdness and the weird feelings that go with it is a good place to start.

I thought maybe the girlettes could do a pandemic play or something, but interestingly, they say they don't want to:
"We're busy." 
Ha. They are "busy" looking out the window!
I always feel better when I check in with them.

(They always say this sort of "no" to suggestions that they make a book too. However, I'm thinking I'll collect photos of them from throughout the seasons and make a calendar in late fall for 2021.)

So.
It's okay to feel uncomfortable.

Feeling glum?
Okay, then.

Feel glum well.

6 comments:

  1. that feeling seems to come and go , in waves. Today is one of those days fro me as well. So, I have been looking at bad thrift store art on line, hilarious! And looking at a FB page of choice mugs , also hilarious. We will get through this thing, we will. And we will stay well, I insist! But it looks like we will have to be very cautious until at least September. OY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Linda Sue.
    It's nice to hear you feel this too---I know we am far from alone in this, of course...
    Bad thrift store art is a treat. Working at a thrift store, I was surprised how rare truly BAD ART is. Lots is just mediocre---I always say it takes some negative-genius to rise (sink) to true badness.

    I think I will get better at this nothingness. These early days are good practice.
    Yes, yes, yes, let's all stay well!!!!

    --Frex = Fresca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to be honest about how we feel.
    The nothingness will be filled, we will be creative.

    Lovely bear.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, GZ! Thanks, yeah, I thought about not posting unhappy posts but figured since it's helpful to me to hear others be honest about feeling glum, it might be helpful to others to hear me...
    I'm not a fan of false cheer (though sometimes it is helpful to whistle a happy tune!).

    The bear is a happiness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Fresca-

    Thanks for checking in on my blog.

    My neighbor is a DJ and last weekend he dragged his big speakers out to his deck facing the street and blasted some Motown at us all. We danced in the street for a while.

    I love the word glum, btw. It sounds and feels like what it is.

    If you haven't been introduced to Randy Rainbow, help yourself.

    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Beth! Thanks for hopping over here.

    Wow, that's a great image--your neighbor playing Motown for the street to dance to.
    Whatever comes next, we may be lucky enough to be seeing some of the best things we are capable of. Simple kindnesses that make a HUGE difference.

    "Glum" is practically onomatopoetic, isn't it? :)

    Randy Rainbow? I will google this...

    ReplyDelete