Saturday, April 18, 2020

Back to Bears

 A bit of normalcy, nothing to do with you-know-what (though I had to go and mention it, didn't I?): today was spa day for 70-year-old Mr Bear. 

A couple girlettes stayed with him the whole time, so he wasn't scared at all. (This is New Girl (left) and SweePo.)

A volunteer at the thrift store had asked me if I'd restore theteddy bear who's been with her husband since babyhood.
I'm always happy to do such a thing, and she brought Mr Bear to me shortly before the store closed one month ago.

I would have gotten right to it, but with everything upside down, I honestly kind of forgot... 
I'd a hard week last week---staying up too late watching TV threw off my sleep and brought underlying anxieties to the surface. Also, even though I  was watching comedies, I had bad dreams.

[What am I watching?
I've been loving The Windsors, a comic send-up of the British royal family--an antidote to The Crown, which I thought was nauseatingly worshipful. (I only watched a few episodes before I becamse too enraged to continue.)

I also am loving The Good Place--it's a bit uneven, but  sweet and actually has some ideas.

Plus the temperatures have been freezing, and we've had snow, so I felt trapped indoors. HM and I had a couple quarrels--nothing serious, but no fun. (It's a bit hard living with someone who has very different communication styles, so that's a hurdle.)

We're fine now. And we both said we'd rather deal with the hassles of having a housemate than be living alone.
(Though I cannot imagine how horrible it is for people trapped in small quarters in difficult circumstances, as many people are.)


For the last couple nights, I didn't watch TV before bed, which helped. And today is a beautiful 64º F /18ºC warm, windy, and dry--perfect for bear day.

The stuffing is dusty and I like to unstuff bears outside. 

So, part I is done!

1. Open up a big back or bottom seam with a seam ripper:

2. Take out the wadded old stuffing.

3. Bathe in lukewarm water and mild soap (Ivory or the like). Mr Bear was fairly clean and needed only two baths before the water ran clear--sometimes it's more, or you need to let the stuffed animal soak.

 4. Pat with towel and lie flat to dry. Mr Bear is in the shade in the backyard--sun will damage old fabrics.



5 comments:

  1. Sweet bear, glad he has the comfort afforded by the little redheads. Living with another human during this most interesting time, is challenging but I would rather have this challenge than do it alone...I think...maybe...
    I have been watching dark stuff on netflix, some I had to abandon because- too dark! I agree about "The Crown"...especially the second won with Olivia...the characters were just a bit too precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Bear definitely looks happier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LINDA SUE: you confirmed for me that I was right to stop watching "The Crown" before season 2. "Too precious"--cringe.
    Too bad, though, I like Olivia COlman--(mostly from the comedy "Twenty Twelve".

    I had to give up some dark stuff too---I liked it but it was raising my anxiety.

    The bears and the girlettes tend to get along very well.

    STEVE: Happier, yes! I'm eager to see him dried and given fresh stuffing too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Mr Bear and saw him later in his transformation too-he looks great! Like the little red haired girls too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SARAH: Thanks! Restoring Mr Bear was rewarding--fun and easy!

    The little reds were made in the 1990s as Madeline dolls (from the children's book character), but I didn't know that when I found one at a thrift store three years ago.
    Since then they have practically taken over my life!

    ReplyDelete