Saturday, March 21, 2020

Finally did it! Reusable Toilet Paper

I felt a bit shy about posting this online but decided that at this time of toilet-paper mania, it's good to normalize easy, environmentally friendly, and cheap alternatives to one-use paper products. (Also, to panic hoarding!)

So me and my bum are taking one for the team and posting this on my FB & IG, and here:

Ever since I wrote a book for teens about the history of toilets and learned how much t.p. humans use*, I've been wanting to make reusable t.p., (at least for the liquid stuff...).

Now, as the saying goes, needs must!
Down to a few rolls, HouseMate & I (both Pisces!) have taken the enormous (not) step of cutting up some old, soft cloth for wipes.
Also put water in squeeze bottles for a homemade bidet-spray, so the wipe is mostly just for drying water.


Put a plastic bucket with lid next to the toilet and intend to launder the used wipes every couple two three days.
As for sanitary concerns... well, there will be far less body-wastes than in a diaper pail.


*On average, in the USA each person uses about 50 lbs. of toilet paper every year.
The nation spend a total of $6 billion annually on the stuff.
Also--duh--the environmental impact is pretty bad:
"Why Toilet Paper Is Bad for the Environment"

5 comments:

  1. Good for you! I found a posting on-line from someone who did so way back in 2014.She did recommend not putting them in water like they used to do diapers as she ended up with mildew!

    Here's her posting: https://www.frugallivingnw.com/reusable-cloth-toilet-paper-faqs/

    Having a water sprayer bottle is a great idea!

    On a happy note I picked lots of broccoli today from my garden from last fall plantings. Even gave some to one of the other gardeners.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps I visited St. Petersburg/Moscow in the early 90s and Cancun in 2009. The public restrooms had little plastic lined wastebaskets for toilet paper. Their systems weren't able to handle all of the toilet paper.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in process of making cloth pee wipes..the advice I have read is that they should not be in a closed tub before washing to avoid mildew and mould.
    I boil handkerchiefs, kitchen cloths, tea towels....in cold water with washing soda, bring to the boil, allow to cool enough to handle then they go in with a 60C towels and sheets wash. Pee cloths will go in with that.
    It makes sure...but then men don't boil their underwear when they get a few drips.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. We haven't gone this route yet, but we might before too long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, all! I'm slow responding to comments--sorry---thanks for writing!!!

    KIRSTEN & GZ--thanks for the tip NOT to close the bucket lid on damp wipes. I am leaving it cracked open.
    In the two days before being washed, they didn't smell like ammonia at all... I think the water-spray really helps with that.

    STEVE: Men have it easier, in this regard... :)

    ReplyDelete