Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Diary of a Bookseller/ Music Desk?

I've been reading The Diary of a Bookseller (2017), recommended by librarian Steve at Shadows & Light and written by the owner of a secondhand bookstore in Scotland, Shaun Bythell.

The diary is not jazzed up, it's very much the daily goings-on at a bookstore, which I recognize, except for the book-buying bits, since all the books I handle at the thrift  store are donated.
Even then, I pick and choose what to put out, and to some extent what to price it.

Far from the juiciest parts of the book for a casual reader––that would be his descriptions of customers, I imagine – it's what Bythell says about book selling that interests me most. A lot of it validates or sheds light on what I'm dealing with in my little corner of the business.  

That Amazon is a monster monopolist, for instance, I knew, but even to the point of having bought ABEbooks (which had been started by booksellers and still looks that way)? 
That I did not know.
Damn.
It's like there's no little corner of The Shire left.

Then, I'd wondered the other day as I priced the twenty-bags of shiny, like-new hardcover crime thrillers at my usual 49-cents each if I was really right in pricing them so low.
But that's Bythell's valuation of that sort of bestseller too.
"What passes for a best-seller in the new book market is precisely the sort of book that will be a dog in the second-hand trade.
P
erhaps people who buy into the best-seller concept will always buy their books new, to be on the crest of the wave as it breaks rather than the troughs behind it."
 That makes sense--there's a lag time between when a book peaks, and when we get deluged with copies of it. Can't give away Dan Brown's DaVinci Code now, or the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, or Girl on the Train, etc.
They are yesterday's news.

Bythell continues:
"Perhaps also because the Dan Browns and Tom Clancys of this world are published in such vast quantities that there is never any scarcity value in them for the dealer or a collector."


Yep.  

His tales about customers inspire me to start jotting down more of my own exchanges.
Yesterday a couple came in looking for adventure books.
Wild, by Cheryl Strayed?
Already read.

Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson?
Too old. (?)

A serious biography on Columbus as an Adventurer? 
They turned up their noses.  

The Fellowship of the Ring, with a personal recommendation: "I'm just rereading this"?
Yes! 
. . .But the only copy we had was too beat up. They would go buy it new.

MYSTERY:
I bought at my store this fantastic piece of furniture for a laptop desk.Thirty-five measly dollars. I LOVE IT!


Any idea what it was made for originally? It's got musical instruments on the front...
Michael (and Elaine)?
 

6 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

Maybe a combination writing desk and music cabinet, for storing scores? Straight-up music cabinets would have a lot more storage (I think). Maybe the instruments are just for decoration? Elaine can offer her ideas after she gets back from a rehearsal.

Whatever it is, it’s quite a find for $35. Congrats!

Steve Reed said...

No idea about the table -- but Michael's guess sounds good to me!

I too was surprised by the news about ABEBooks. I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one out of the loop on that. And yes, yesterday's best-sellers are literally worthless now. They don't even get read in our library, though we keep 'em around if they were once popular enough (like "The Da Vinci Code" and "The Girl on the Train").

I especially loved all Bythell's descriptions of the personalities and the small-town life in Scotland. I want to visit, but I'm not sure whether a bunch of visitors would be a blessing or a curse for that small community!

Michael Leddy said...

Elaine tried twice to leave a comment, but nothing went through. Anyway, she thinks that it’s a combination music-writing desk and music cabinet.

gz said...

That is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship, whatever it is. Certainly the shelves are for papers.
The giants are sucking the life out of bookselling. The life and the love.

bink said...

What a fab desk! Score! Congrats!

Fresca said...

MICHAEL & ELAINE: Thanks for the information! Makes sense. I looked at pictures of hundreds of these kind of desks and didn't see one quite like it...

STEVE: If you bought books, surely a visit would be a blessing! You could go for the festival. Looks like it's in later September every year:
https://www.wigtownbookfestival.com

GZ: The giants are indeed life suckers. It's great to be able to get books online, but their unfair practices are ... unfair!

BINK: Thanks--I want to show it to you in person!