Saturday, October 19, 2019

Pot of Soup

GETTING OUT OF BED will be a big part of the challenge of writing every morning in November.
Supposedly people in the northern hemisphere sleep more in October than any other month. That seems right to me... and on into November too... Not that that's a problem, but I write best in the morning, so if I sleep too late, I don't write at all.

I cashier for a couple extra weeks beyond my two-weeks notice because a coworker will be out for medical reasons, they asked me to work longer. I don't mind helping, though it's predictable that the store won't get its act together and hire my replacement.
Oh well. 

Just time for a quick post this morning.
I made white-bean soup in my new Dansk enamel-over-cast-iron casserole I got from the store. Seven dollars. Figured that was underpriced--looked it up when I got home, and yes it was--though it's a modern remake of a classic, not a vintage piece.  (Also learned the lid doubles as a trivet.)


Living in this hippie Saint Francis-y house throws me back to my earthy granola days of cooking out of Moosewood and Laurel's Kitchen. I like that. It reminds me of my childhood in Madison, with neighbors starting the first food co-ops and going on peace marches.
The whole exposed-wood and house plants ethos.
This house makes me want to start inviting people over for homemade soup and bread and to sing folk songs. Which is a good thing!

But do I miss the Urban Sophisticate vibe?
The clean lines of the mid-century? 


Ummmm.... maybe a little bit. 
Maybe that's why I bought this pot. I mean, I love it, but one had come through the store when I was living in my old place and I didn't buy it then.

I hate cozy clichés, like "pot of soup simmering on the stove"––even though mine did––and "curl up with a good book and a steaming mug of tea."
(Who in modern America keeps their house cold enough that their tea steams anyway?)


Must go catch the bus to work now. (It's raining.)
Love ya!
Come over for soup. Bring your spaceship!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I do, too! I grew up with a dad who kept our house at basically 65-70 during the day and 55 at night. I still do that as I am basically too cheap to pay for heat when all I need is another sweater.

It also depends upon who is paying for the heat. Here in VA it's included as part of the rent (radiator which is the best)! In NH it was gas and I paid for it. My apartment also faced north so I endured lots of blizzardy winds. I did find that painters tape was a good way to cover cracks in windows.

I have one of those pots from my mom who most likely bought it in the 70's. If more come through you really should pick them up. I have a long flatter one that is great for roasting vegetables.

This website has great info on how to clean and how to use a spoon to remove the lid. https://douglascain.blogspot.com/2010/11/dansk-kobenstyle-enamel-cookware.html

kirsten

ps Totally agree with the northern hemisphere sleeping more in October!

deanna said...

Would come right over, if my spaceship's tags were up to date and it hadn't blown the thingamawhat'sit. Delightful post; I can nearly smell the simmering soup. I would not be able to eat it, due to legumes being off my dietary list these days, but I'm always happy to sniff.

Tim keeps our fireplace insert woodstove toasty in the mornings, but then the house cools off to 65ish. I'm with Kirsten on that it depends on who pays for the heat. If we can get it via the sweat of my hubby's brow (people now call him when they have a tree cut down, etc.), we use the wood exclusively. Utility rates raise themselves too often!

Here's hoping the store will truly try to replace you at the register soon!

The Crow said...

You asked: Who in modern America keeps their house cold enough that their tea steams anyway?

I do. I keep my house at about 65F in winter to save on heating oil costs, so steam rising from hot beverages and wonderful pots of homemade soup looks pretty cozy to me.

By the way, that pot of soup you made looks delicious! Has all the things I like in soup; nice thick body, full of veggies - yum!

October 19, 2019 at 10:21 AM

(Revised 20 October by MCM)

Steve Reed said...

That is a beautiful pot! I'd have been tempted to buy it myself. And yes, I know just the ethos you mean -- I cooked a lot out of Moosewood myself. I even made a pilgrimage with some friends to visit the actual Moosewood restaurant in Ithaca back in 1992. Quite a drive from Florida!

Fresca said...

KIRSTEN: Remember Jimmy Carter telling us to put on a sweater?
Some people say all politicians are the same, but I don't see it:
What a difference a president makes...

Thanks for the link re: care of the Dansk!
I will for sure buy more if other models come along--I've used mine twice now and it's ideal!!!

DEANNA: Your Millenium Falcon needs a once-over, eh? :)

Wood stoves are a lot of work, but so nice, I think. I had a friend in rural Vermont whose house had only a wood stove for heat. I had no idea how efficient they are... though she did have to get up at 5 a.m. to keep the fire alive.

CROW: I read your original post and here's hoping your heat is up and running, or soon will be.
65º is reasonable, eh?
I posted a little more about this--I was speaking in foolish annoyance at clichés when I doubted Americans keep their heat low enough for tea to steam.
Most of us can't afford to keep our homes piping hot!!!

STEVE: Hey, I went to Moosewood too, when a friend was in school in Ithaca. A Mecca for a certain kind of cook!