Saturday, July 27, 2019

Do Not Cut Toward Yourself

There's a profound message in the teaching:
Don't cut toward yourself.
I learned that as a young cook, and yet, forty years after my first grill-cook job, I did just that: in a hurry to make sangria for a friend I'd forgotten I'd invited over, I sliced an orange while holding it in my hand...

I'm house sitting, so I don't know the knives, and it just so happened I was using a new Chicago Cutlery chopper...
The resulting sliced finger could advertise the knife's smooth slicing action.
Truly!
Because while the cut was deep, it was so beautifully thinly sliced, it closed up
quickly, with surprisingly little bleeding, 
and while maybe it could have used a stitch or two, I decided to forgo a trip to the doctor and trust in nature's healing powers.

Which, I'm happy to say, have done their magic. Two days later, I can even type with this wounded finger, tender (and ugly) though it still is.


Speaking of injuries, bink is up at a lakeside cabin, and after she jumped off the dock into the water, she temporarily lost her hearing--due to something I'd never heard of called "ear barotrauma"---caused by unequal pressure on your ear drum and all that.

Which reminded me of a favorite line from a comic opera from Adult Swim based on Star Trek IV: The Wrath of Khan:
"My ear! I'm not supposed to get eels in it!"




4 comments:

  1. All could think/hear in my head when I read about the eels was Pete Seeger and what his Mama said to him. Now that ear worm is in mine!

    Glad your finger knew what to do in healing itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except that his Mama was talking about beans, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that ear scene freaked me out back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CROW: I don't know that song! Don't put beans in your ears?
    Must look it up.

    STEVE: It STILL freaks me out, when I've rewatched the movie! ICKY!!!

    ReplyDelete