Monday, July 22, 2019

A Card for Princess Ilhan

bink came over yesterday (to my house sitting vacation home), and we watercolored thank-you support cards for our Minnesota representative in Congress, Ilhan Omar, who is under fire from evil forces.

It seems absurd to put it that way, but on one level––the level of the presidency of the United States!––politics have deteriorated to childish good-and-evil plot lines:
"The princess has been captured by the Death Star".

(That's Star Wars, not Trek.)

Luckily Rep. Omar is like fearless leader Princess Leia facing Darth Vader. I couldn't do it. I looked at her Instagram and people leave the most vile comments.
So some pretty cards might be welcome--if only seen by her staff who have to wade through the filth too.

The dolls helped:



I remember thinking in the early days that Trump & his ilk might run out of steam, but far from it.  
"What can we do?" . . . I haven't done much since bink and I made Baby's First Resistary in 2017. 

I always think that if it all goes to hell, at least there should be a piece of paper somewhere with my name on it saying, "I don't agree to this!"
And others that say, "Thank you for standing up!"

4 comments:

  1. What a kind, compassionate and supportive idea, Fresca. I think all of us, whether living in their districts or not, should send letters of support to all who stand up to the tyrants and the evil they espouse.

    Your art is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CROW: Yes, I'd like to make more cards for the others too!
    I am not equipped to do politics, so I want to support the ones who can... and do. And I feel better if I find something positive to do, like Support Art (not to exclude speaking up and saying No, too).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's appalling how Omar has been vilified by Trump and the right-wingers at Fox News. Fox hammers her and her three colleagues, banking on using them to mobilize voters for the Old White Man in 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  4. STEVE: It is appalling---even if I agreed with this president, I would find his tactics bad form!

    ReplyDelete