Friday, June 7, 2019

Book Photos


Above: Book on concrete floor at work

I like looking at pictures of books.
Do you? 

I don't know why I haven't been photographing the books more, all along. I guess it's because I have been so busy simply sorting donated book and organizing them on the shelves. 
Occasionally I snap photos, as you've seen, but I'd like to photograph them more, books as books.

When I posted recently about how much space BOOK's has in the thrift store, I realized how much work it is to keep it up.
Oddly, I've barely thought about that...
Twenty hours a week is  barely enough to stay on top of the basics--I don't often get around to optional things. 
(Wash the shelves? Never once!)

And it's a lot of physical work too––I've gotten better at pacing myself, but sometimes I work too hard and go home quite sore.
Sore is OK, but I'm mad at myself when I stupidly risk injury. 

A lot of books come through the store. About 1,400 magazines and books sold last month (most priced only 25 cents to $1.99). I don't know how many I handle. Besides shelving them, I boxed up for recycling/resale or threw out (moldy) at least that many, or more.
I must be selecting well though--I don't need to weed the shelves all that often. I do eventually move some old-timers to the 33-cents bargain shelf. One way or another, most of what I put out sells eventually.


I want to take the time to photograph a little more.
Not to make it an art project, like this book artist: www.instagram.com/elizabeth_sagan

I can just take a minute to photograph a book. The thrift store's concrete floor, so hard on my feet and back, makes a beautiful background.


Some book types I love...

Heavily used books that have been lovingly and inexpertly repaired--here, with masking tape

Vintage paperback covers

Vintage typefaces (This is the same book that's in the fuzzy photo up top.)

Pulp (and Frank Frazetta's warrior princesses (left).)

2 comments:

  1. I love pulp paperback covers too -- these and the E. E. "Doc" Smith books you posted Thursday are FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. STEVE: Glad you enjoy them! Those fantastic Smith books sold instantly.
    Though I never know what sort of shopper is coming through the thrift store, I wasn't too surprised they went fast.
    And for 99 cents each: a steal! :)

    ReplyDelete