Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Unintentional R& R

Yesterday I mentioned "deep resting" (v. depressing). Googling to find the term's origins, I came across a website, Intentional Resting.

OMG. I do believe we who are Americans might need reminders that we should not treat our bodies and souls like machines that can run nonstop, and I feel tenderly toward us humans who get caught up in the machine.
Still, I didn't click on the site, but it sounds ridiculously precious to me, like Artisanal Napping.

I like [the spirit of] my coworker Mr Linens's advice better.
"You are too SERIOUS!" he told me the other day. "After work, you should have a drink. Not that white wine either. A REAL drink. Whisky!"

Oh, and Mr Linens, as I'd guessed, has no truck with the Royal Baby.
He reads the newspaper, so I knew he'd know about baby Archie, but when I asked him if he'd heard about it, he said,
"What's that got to do with me?"

None of my coworkers seemed to care much.
"Did you hear Meghan Markle and Prince Harry had their baby?" I asked one.


 "Oh, . . . was she pregnant?"


Evidently so.

The baby's name did evoke some responses. 
A volunteer who used to do stand-up comedy hollered, "Edith!" in  Archie Bunker's voice, and another said, "Harry looks like Archie", meaning the comic book character.

Going to the Movies in Duluth

Anyway, I have some Unintentional Resting coming to me. 
This morning when I punched in at work, I checked how many hours I've worked this pay period––I knew I was close to my allotted 40 hours, which is why I could take the next couple days off and go to Duluth.

Well. In fact, I was over: I've already worked 41.75 hours, due to a couple special projects. So I have today off too, which means I can do my laundry and dishes without feeling rushed.
I catch the bus at 7 a.m. tomorrow.

I like going up north alone––have been many times.

I'm super excited to see that a movie is playing in Duluth that I'm eager to see––The Public [NYT review]––it's not here.
Director Emilio Estevez was here in town, however, and I'm kicking myself for missing him--he came and spoke at the downtown library. 

The preview looks pretty good, but reviews are mixed--"overly sincere". Still, come on! A movie about homeless people refusing to leave the public library in a cold snap???
Librarians + Poor Rebels? I must see this.


(Also, I loved  Repo Man (1984) starring Estezev when I was in my twenties. [Trailer: www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLGrXGEMOSo]
Plate of shrimp, anyone?)

Finding out that I can see the movie tomorrow is good timing for me. 
I've been fretting about needing a second job. 
Working two jobs takes much more than twice the energy. Each workplace requires complete social engagement, no matter how many hours you're there, right?

I like being around people––I'm fairly extroverted, I guess?––but I am also fairly easily drained emotionally and intellectually.
Engage with one set of people for four hours, then go engage with another set of people for another four hours? Or even two?
OMG. 

Sign me up for the Intentional Rest Home.

(I think I'm about average for social energy, actually, and that it's the American expectation of how much people are supposed to engage that is waaaay out of whack.)

So, I was thinking, maybe I should quit the thrift store, which pays me around $650 take-home a month, and get ONE job that pays enough to live on.

But, you know, that would be sort of a tragedy.
I LOVE my work.
It is deeply meaningful. And, unlike other meaningful jobs I've done, like activities with people with dementia, this workplace itself is FUN. (See, Mr Linens)

I know I'm always complaining about the store's lack of effective management, but I'm also always saying, the management's heart is in the right place.

Getting out of town is a good way to get perspective, but I think I've made up my mind. I will need more money eventually, but I'm going to stick with my plan to keep using up my savings from my father for a while longer.
If I project myself five years ahead and imagine future-me looking back, I think I'd kick myself for giving this up.

2 comments:

  1. Now you have me longing for a plate of shrimp!

    Have fun in Duluth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BINK: Shrimp basket at the Monterrey in Chicago!!!

    ReplyDelete