Thursday, May 16, 2019

In Need of a Restorative

Well, that was brutal.
I got off the bus in Duluth 40 minutes before the first showing of The Public, Emilio Estevez's movie about homeless people taking over a public library as a place to keep from freezing one winter night.

"You know this is going to be upsetting", I said to myself. "Do you really want to go?"

I did, so I went, and I'm glad. I just left the theater.


In many big and glaring ways, The Public is not a good film.
Among other problems, his female characters make me wonder if Emilio has a bone to pick with women--did they let him down or something?
But it is an excellent snapshot of the current seemingly no-win situation between the enormous bare-naked need of people with nothing, and the lack of ...comprehension? will? compassion? on the part of the powers that be.

I feel flattened on the one hand, and yet lifted up on the other--the way you do when your point of view is validated.
This movie is what I see every day––at the thrift store, but also just walking around the city.

I am stepping over people lying on the ground, and I am having fantastic snippets of conversation with the same people (when they are able to stand up).

How has it come to this???


Of course human misery is hardly  a new thing in history.
Still... 

Anyway, the movie theater Zinema, where I saw the movie, is part of a nonprofit arts complex that includes a restaurant/bar, Zeitgeist.
I am there now, taking Mr Linen's advice and drinking hard liquor.
Hard, but boutique---seems fitting:
a Cedar Negroni, made with cedar vodka from local Vikre Distillery (+ Aperol, sweet vermotuh, and orange bitters).
It is, indeed, restorative. (Also, delicious.)

The Superior Team are too young––you can see Little Brother is concerned SweePo might inhale too many fumes--but they approve of the color.
Next stop--the Salvation Army thrift store, then checking into the motel. If I am not too wobbly, I will take one of their bikes for a ride. 
Maybe, though, a walk along the river would be better...

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to Duluth!

    I love how Little Brother is so solicitous of SweePo...and that drink looks pretty nummy.

    Hope you are able to get some restorative relaxation in on your trip...even if your movie didn't quite start you off that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BINK: Wasn't it negronis I drank too many of in Sicily? :)

    The trip was good, but yeah, it was a bumpy start. I'm glad I saw the movie though.

    ReplyDelete