Thursday, May 9, 2019

Be Bold (but NOT like an angry ape)

I'm going in to work today--I've been liking working Weds & Thurs---then I have a LONG weekend...
I need to/want to start looking for a second job of some sort--
so I need some open, free brain time to do that.
I don't want to (or need to) jump at anything that's available; I want something that I'd like doing and that pays well---
to make up for the pay at the thrift store!
.
Even though the store is poor, it's a shortsighted policy to pay employees so little that they cannot afford to live on their salaries.
They could employ me full time, for instance. 
I'd do it, even at the ridiculous salary of as-low-as-is-legal ($10.25/hour).

I would bring a lot of value to the store with more time to identify and sell mysterious vintage items, do research into fundraising,
create more social media to get the word out, etc.
Possibly I could even write grants to fund my position.

I suggested it to Big Boss, and he said they can't afford it.
While that's literally true, there's not the income, INVESTING (in staff) IS HOW YOU GET INCOME.
He and the store make short-sighted choices––"we'll only pay cash with money we have in hand"––
and so they stay in a cycle of poverty.

This is classic scarcity/ poverty thinking.
The opposite of abundance.
While Trump is a horrific president (easy example: we're keeping children from their parents in camps),
I see why some people like him:
HE IS BOLD.
He thinks and acts like a rich person---risk a lot, lose a lot, who cares?
Be confident! Cover it in gold, and no one cares (or knows) if it's junk underneath.
.
NOT to praise Trump!!! 
I read this quote last night (in Primo Levi's The Drowned and the Saved) and thought, that's our president:
"But man, proud man,
Dressed in a little brief authority,
Most ignorant of what he's most assured,
His glassy essence, like an angry ape
Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven
As makes the angels weep."
--From Shakespeare's Measure for Measure

But, I'm  trying to understand what I'm seeing at the thrift store---
and they (we) NEED SOME devil-may-care BOLDNESS!
Dream big! Act big!
Hey--even BE BEST! (I love this name of Melania Trump's program--if only it lived up to it.)
. . . BUT BE KIND!!!

At root, we truly are trying to live up to our mission, which says we are guided by Gospel values (feed the hungry, clothe the naked).
I see that happening every day, and as I always say, that counts most.
But the store needs to make enough to stay in business and to pay its staff enough to live--that's a Gospel value too.
_____________________________________
 
I just made a macro to post on FB (mine, not the store's):


--Photo from Trump Towers

No comments:

Post a Comment