Sunday, April 21, 2019

Easter Red II: Red Hair Girl, Cat Burglar

Red Hair Girl went with bink to the Basilica on the morning of Good Friday, as I mentioned, to help haul rose petals up for that evening. (bink & poodletail drop them from on high at the end of the service.)
bink & RHG went up on the catwalk in the dome high above the altar.

It's waaaay up high: that's a 9-foot statue of Mary that RHG is looking down upon.
I don't like heights, and it makes me dizzy to look at this photo. Is RHG's carabiner even clipped on?  BINK ? ? ?

To get into this interior space, you have to go out on the roof of the Basilica, then go in a secret little door...
Here's RHG on the roof with the Minneapolis skyline behind her.

The glass skyscraper with the black band is the city's tallest: The IDS. It gets my vote for Most Boring Building, though if you have an office on the inside, I admit you have a pretty spectacular view. 
But I've seen that view exactly once––it's not open to the public––when I visited a friend who'd become a lawyer. (She has since quit lawyering and gone back to librarianing.)

Anyway, RHG was so inspired, she has declared would like to take up breaking and entering tall things.
Hm.
Maybe she could be like the man who walked on a tightrope between the World Trade towers. (Except not die.) 

2 comments:

bink said...

I hooked her carabiner on as much as I was able but the little scamp was often too fast for me--rushing out to see the sights. I was told that Mary statue is actually 9' tall...so it's even higher up than you might guess. Notice all the little dots on the edge of the dome where Mary is standing--those are dried up rose petals from last year's drop, that never managed to flutter to the floor. (They aren't visible from below.)

Fresca said...

BINK: She is a little scamp, it's true---and no harm, no foul!

That's so funny to see the dried rose petals from previous years. Someone is not doing their vacuuming!!! :)