Thursday, March 28, 2019

We March, Ann Flies


It's the last week for my Women's History Month books display ^ at work, which you can see part of, front and left. 
(But darn, even when I enlarged the photo, I can't recognize the book this shopper is reading the back of... She's in the fiction section is all I know.)

My displays rely on whatever books are donated,  of course, but I was very pleased that, while our books tend to be a bit dated, I've been able to present a decent spread, including, at the moment:

・Why We March: Signs of Protest and Hope--Voices from the Women's March [worldwide protests after Trump's inauguration, 2017]
・An Unfinished Woman, by Lillian Hellman
33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A. (2002)

 ・Georgia O'Keeffe: One Hundred Flowers 

・Ann Can Fly (1959), about a girl taking flying lessons

・Radioactive: Marie & Pierre Curie: A Tale of Love and Fallout--visual biography by Laura Redness

・National Museum of Women in the Arts
All the Women of the Bible
・Galileo's Daughter: A Historical Memoir of Science, Faith, and Love, by Dava Sobel, based on letters of the nun Suor Maria Celeste, daughter of Galileo
・Personal History, by Washington Post publisher Katherine Graham

. . . and more, including books by Betty Friedan, Gloria Steinam, bell hooks, Hillary Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, and
・Mighty Be Our Powers: How Sisterhood, Prayer, and Sex Changed a Nation at War - A Memoir by Leymah Gbowee, 2011 Liberia Nobel Peace Laureate

4 comments:

  1. I haven't actually read it. Maybe I will, if it doesn't sell by April 1 (the end of Women's History Month)--or I can get it at the library. Always happy to get recs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big sigh! More books to go on my reading list........Some of them sound quite interesting.

    My mother interviewed one of the daughters, Eve Curie, of Marie Curie when she was in high school. She happened to be tagging along with another reporter on the school newspaper. Sadly I don't have a copy of the interview which would have been so interesting to read now. I realize how little I know of Marie Curie other than they did not realize how .

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  3. KIRSTEN: Wow, that's amazing your mother met Marie Curie's daughter Eve!
    Six degrees of separation really turns up in unexpected ways.

    ReplyDelete