Friday, March 22, 2019

Happy Birthday, Bill! Keep it gay!

William Shatner (Captain Kirk) turns eighty-eight today. He was born May 22, 1931--same year as my father (r.i.p.).

A favorite pick-me-upper: 
Shatner singing a snippet of "Keep It Gay" on the Mike Douglas Show in 1969:



The song is from a 1950s Broadway show, Me and Juliet.

I'm inspired by how Shatner's never embarrassed. Whatever terrible acting job he accepts, he gives it his hammy all.

He sure got a lot of practice in Star Trek.
Here, in the episode that gets my vote of Most Excruciatingly Embarrassing, "Plato's Stepchildren" (1968), he maintains his dignity while draped in a tablecloth with a plastic wreath on his head––
or, anyway, he doesn't let looking ridiculous stop him from fully inhabiting the role. 


Screencap from the treasure trove of images TrekCore: http://tos.trekcore.com

2 comments:

  1. I have seen some of those old shows and watching them now, I am cringing!!!

    Back when TV was somewhat fun!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete