Thursday, January 24, 2019

A Wonky Rescue Doll

A doll I rescued from a trash barrel at work.

I think it's very cool. It looks like the arts & crafts I saw people living with dementia making when I was working in Memory Care. (A post about that: "Pieces of a Smashed-Up Life"). 

I like things that show imagination working despite, or even because of, limitations and damage.



wonky: crooked, off-center, askew, unsteady, shaky...
Cognate with Scots wankle (“wonky”), Dutch wankel (“shaky”), German Wankelmut (“fickleness, inconstancy, vacillation”), Danish vanke (“to wander”).  

10 comments:

  1. Why is this reminding me of "Carmen"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The voice is coming from (to?) the heart?

    Doll opera!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! This doll reminds me of the work of Judith Scott. See https://www.creativegrowth.org/press/judith-scott-featured-huffington-post-september-2016/

    There is something compelling about it.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. VIVIAN: Did you know that according to Bill Cunningham, Rei Kawakubo based Commes des Garcon on the layered clothing of people living on the street?
    So yeah... but in this case, it's as if she collaborated with Fellini.

    KIRSTEN: Yes--Judith Scott came to mind too: I love her wrapped things! I learned about Scott from a one-time blogger who often comments here, Art Sparker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL -- that looks like someone's "I'm learning to sew" project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. STEVE: Ha! Yes. But actually, in person it's weirder than a beginning sewing project--it really is more ... demented.
    I say that with respect, having worked with so many lovely people with dementia. The stuff they made was... very odd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! It looks like it beamed up during a transporter malfunction! Love it!
    --Marz

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pompoms. But it is the posture of the doll that makes it so beguiling...like a Spanish dancer about to dance the flamenco. It needs mini castanets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. MARZ: Dr McCoy's nightmare!

    BINK: Interesting, you and Art Sparker saw something Spanish in the doll.

    ReplyDelete