Monday, January 21, 2019

Dream On

Plaque at the site of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's assassination--the words spoken by the brothers of Jospeh (of the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat):
"Here cometh the dreamer... Let us slay him,
And we shall see what will become of his dreams."
--Genesis 37: 19-20

What becomes of Joseph's dreams is that the actions of his brothers lead to them coming true.


Today I posted this on the store's FB for MLK Day, and Big Boss commented:

One of the amazing things about Joseph's story was his ability to forgive his brothers and see God's providence in his situation. 
Here are the words Joseph spoke to his brothers:

"You intended to harm me, but God intended (used) it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives."
--
Genesis 50:20 New International Version (NIV)

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I never knew of the Bible verse (or its context) and how it relates to MLK. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. STEVE: I didn't know it until a couple years ago
    --I heard about Joseph and the MLK plaque at a nondenominational Christian church I went to for a little while after Trump was elected because I'd thought I might need a church community,
    . . . but after a while found I just can't do church anymore.

    I was a bit sad about that, since the minister was great storyteller with a perspective I admired, and he regularly talked about things like this.

    ReplyDelete