Tuesday, November 13, 2018

"The Matador's New Friend"

This velvet painting originally had a charging wounded bull, and no mountains, in the background. (Wish I had a "before" photo––I'd cut the bull out last year.) 
I recently got a scrap of mountains from a ripped-up painting in the trash at the thrift store. Last night I sat down with scissors, glue, and thread...
Et voila!


 
I'd pinned the duckling on the original painting last year, unsure if it was too incongruous. It has since blended in, at least in my eyes, and the matador's, so I stitched it on.

This is something of a self-portrait, it occurs to me this morning.
I am both of these characters---the chatty cutey and the dark soul.
I think people mostly see the former––that's what's on display in public.
When I was going to study funeral directing twenty years ago (!), a woman at my work said, "But you're so cheerful!"

3 comments:

  1. I love it! I have seen some ripped paintings at places and now know what to do with them. A form of editing paintings........


    Interesting thought to see "the chatty cutey and the dark soul"-- at times I am that. Chatty (my sister would say too much) when public but can often turn morose when not in public. I think people assume one is that way all of the time.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! People (including my sister) have actually told me to stop talking!
    The public self is never the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved the duckling on that painting...it is what elevates it to brilliant.

    ReplyDelete